We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor itinerary

Raleigh, North...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time visitor itinerary

My husband and I will be visiting Charleston for the first time to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We've started working on our itinerary and would like some input on activities and restaurants.

We'll be arriving around 10:30 Sunday morning and staying at The Meeting Street Inn. Seeing as we'll be arriving before our check-in time I need to find out if they would allow us to park in their lot.

Our first stop will be taking the trolley from the Inn to Hominy for brunch. Afterwards we plan on walking back to explore Charleston City Market. Are their any interesting stops along the way? How long should be plan to spend at the Market? 3pm Check-in at the Inn. We're not sure what to do between check in and dinner - suggestions on activities? I've thought about walking down to Waterfront park and Rainbow Row, does this seem like a good idea?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor itinerary

A walk to Waterfront Park and Rainbow Row sounds like a nice way to get a feel for the area.

I don't know if there's much of interest between Hominy Grill and back to the market area. It's located near the medical university. There are some nice homes and some in the process of restoration.

An hour or two should be plenty for the market, and all the shops on Market St. Make sure to try some pralines at the sweet shop.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
276 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor itinerary

We have stayed at the Meeting Street Inn a number of times and they have always been super nice and very accommodating. Unless they are totally booked and have no spots open at 10:30am, I would be very surprised if they wouldn't let you park in their lot. The last time we stayed there, we had spent the week in a beach house with the extended family and had to be out of the house by 10am, so we had a ton of time to kill before check in. We stopped by a couple of hours before check-in time, just to see if they might have the room ready early and they surprised us by allowing us to go ahead and check in.

Raleigh, North...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor itinerary

Here's a rough itinerary of what we're planning for our 4 day trip. I still have meal locations to decide on so I'm open to recommendations, especially for our anniversary dinner. I don't have The Battery listed, but want to visit during our stay. When could we fit this in? This forum has been so helpful in planning this trip, I'm glad I found it!

Sunday Day 1

10:30am Arrive at The Meeting Street Inn

•11:30am Take trolley to Brunch at Hominy Grill

•1pm Walk back to Charleston City Market to explore

•3pm Check in to the Inn (if we can’t check in upon arrival)

•Walk to Rainbow Row and Waterfront Park

•Dinner - laid back, casual suggestions? I think we’ll be tired after a day of traveling and sightseeing so we’d prefer something easy going

•Evening Activity - suggestions? We're not really into Ghost tours.

•Drinks on the rooftop of Vendue Inn or Rooftop Bar at Market Pavilion (I’d like to check both of these out during our trip)

Monday (Anniversary) Day 2

•Breakfast at the Inn

•9:40 Annie Middleton Herron’s Walking Tour

•11:40 Lunch at SNOB or Southend Brewery (I’m leaning towards the brewery but am open to suggestions)

•Afternoon Activity - Harbor tour (what's involved in a Harbor Tour?) or would a Historic Home/Plantation tour be better?

•Anniversary Dinner - suggestions for a special occasion restaurant?

•Evening Activity ???

•Drinks on the rooftop of Vendue Inn or Rooftop Bar at Market Pavilion (whichever we didn't go to on Sunday)

Tuesday 16 Day 3

•Breakfast - ???

•Angel Oak Tree (24 minute drive from Inn) How long should we plan to stop here?

•10am Tea Plantation (17 minute drive from AOT)

•Lunch - Are there any places to grab a picnic lunch between the Tea Plantation and Vineyard or should we just pack a picnic?

•Firefly Distillery, Irvin House Vineyards (13 minute drive from Tea Plantation)

•Dinner ???

•Drinks at Blind Tiger Pub

Wednesday Day 4 (leave Charleston around 3pm)

•Breakfast at the Inn

•Shopping at ??? suggestions

•Lunch at Jestine’s Kitchen

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor itinerary

Last Sunday we had brunch at Hall's - consider it! It was awesome and the service = excellent. Had an incredible dinner at Pane e Vino. Sit outside if weather permits.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor itinerary

We enjoyed The Macintosh for our anniversary, are going again for another special occasion in a couple of weeks.

Others you might consider are FIG, Peninsula Grill, High Cotton, SNOB, yes, Hall's is good too, but not as special as some of the others, in our eyes.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor itinerary

I'd suggest that you re-arrange your day on Johns/Wadmalaw Islands a little.

Spend your morning walking in the Historic District (go to the Battery, if you haven't already been.

Have lunch on your way to Angel Oak, possibly try The Tomato Shed on Main Rd. (go early, sometime after 11:00).

http://www.stonofarmmarket.com/

Then, after lunch visit Angel Oak, the Tea Plantation and Firefly Distillery/Irvin Vineyard.

If you're ready for dinner on your way home try Fat Hen, Wild Olive or Mustard Seed on your way back into the city.

SNOB is a better lunch than the Brewery, but that may be personal choice.

Harbor Tour is just that, a ride on a boat around the harbor. What's better depends upon what you want to see.

I'd take the trolley back from Hominy Grill, not much to see along the way. There are lots of bars and shops once you hit King St., but there will be some that are closed on a Sunday afternoon. Instead, how about a carriage tour? You'll get the carriage tour right smack dab in the middle of the Market.

Whew, that was a lot of thinking!

Raleigh, North...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor itinerary

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are so many restaurants that look amazing it's hard to pick just one!

Great thinking on rearranging our Island trip, I'll make those changes.

I guess my question regarding a Harbor Tour vs. a Historic Home tour is where do I get more bang for my buck? I'm a going to get the "Charleston" experience riding on a boat or visiting a house. From what I've gathered on the home tours they can be expensive for what little time you get to spend in them. Which homes would you suggest we see?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitor itinerary

When are you coming to Charleston? Time of year may make a difference in suggestions.

Raleigh, North...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitor itinerary

We will be there September 14-17

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visitor itinerary

Instead of a regular harbor tour, you might consider a blues cruise which is basically the same trip, but with bbq and live music included in the price, and in the evening as the sun sets.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 15:30