We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dental Emergency in Charleston!

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Dental Emergency in Charleston!

On the first day of our latest visit to our daughter in Charleston, I broke a molar while eating lunch after chomping on a walnut. Not a way to start a week-long vacation! A member of the staff saw what happened and I asked him if he could suggest a dentist who might help me. He checked with the gang and gave me the number of Wentworth Street Dental Associates, the practice of Dr. McKenzie Woodard. Being a Saturday, I figured I would call and never get a call back (which happened with a couple of other referrals I got that afternoon). Amazingly, she called me back within an hour or so and told me to meet her at her office (which is only a few blocks from the restaurant we were at). She could not have been nicer or more professional. She examined the tooth, took an x-ray, and discussed the treatment options. We decided to opt for the least invasive procedure--clean the area around the broken but not missing part of the tooth, cement it back in place, and allow me to go on with our trip. She opined that I would probably need a crown installed, but that was something I needed to do at home with my local dentist. Then, either she or her office manager, Katie, called me at least twice to see how I was doing as the days flew by. Well, I saw my dentist this morning, he confirmed everything Dr. Woodard told me (after checking the digital x-ray Dr. Woodard had emailed me) and we will commence with the crowning. So, what could have been a trip buster turned into the opportunity to meet a great dentist who will now become our daughter's doctor. How's that for Southern hospitality! I'll do a few reviews of the new restaurants we visited on this trip, but this was actually one of the highlights of our visit. "Stuff" happens when you're traveling, as you know, and this recommendation will serve you better when it does than another food review might!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dental Emergency in Charleston!

Thanks for posting! We're locals, and we're looking for a new dentist. Sounds like she's one we should consider!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dental Emergency in Charleston!

Glad you had such a great experience!

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dental Emergency in Charleston!

IOPnative,

By way of follow up: Our daughter just called us and let us know that Dr. Woodard saw her today, the hygienist did her cleaning and x-rays, and the doc did her oral check for cancer, etc. She really likes the entire crew. Our daughter is a chicken when it comes to going to the dentist, so we're really happy this went more than well. We were scheduling her visits home around her dental check ups, but she is set now with a dentist in Charleston that she likes and trusts. Just, FYI.

And the beaches on IOP are just super, and we visited Morgan Creek, the Boathouse, and Long Island Cafe while we were visiting, besides the restaurants in Charleston. You are lucky to spend time on that beautiful island! And what a bridge you get to cross--one of the prettiest we've ever seen!

4. Re: Dental Emergency in Charleston!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16