We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers
5 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Charleston

We are a young family, two small children and are looking to be moving to the Charleston area next year. I am in the hospitality industry so I will hopefully be working at one of the resorts on the beach or maybe downtown. We want a nice area that has neighborghoods and sidewalks! We live in FL now and they do not beleive having sidewalks. We just want to be in a nice area that is not too far for anything. Right now I am driving 45 miles each way to work so I would like to be closer. We would want a 3 or more bedrooms. We like two story houses and in FL all they have is one story. We are looking at spending between 250 and 300 maybe a little bit more depending on how well our house does on the market. I know Mount Pleasant is suppsoed to be nice is that convienient to beaches and downtown? What other areas may meet my criteria? Thank You.

Mt. Pleasant, SC
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Charleston

If you are looking for neighborhoods with sidewalks, I would suggest Daniel Island or I'on and the Old Village (both in Mt. Pleasant), but you may have trouble finding homes in your price range there. The housing market is cooling here -- good news for buyers -- but homes have appreciated so much over the last 8 years or so.

There are other nice neighborhoods in Mt. Pleasant (without sidewalks) like Brickyard, Hobcaw Point, Wakendaw Lakes, etc.

Because of its growth, Mt. Pleasant is starting to be known as Mt. Pleasant North (North of Hwy 41) and Mt. Pleasant South (closer to downtown Charleston). The schools are probably the best in the school district here, and there are some magnet schools located over the bridge in downtown Charleston and North Charleston.

Popular subdivisions north of Hwy 41 in Mt. Pleasant include Dunes West and Park West. The traffic there in the mornings and afternoons can be heavy, and dealing with traffic problems from rapid growth is one of Mt. Pleasant's major issues

Mt. Pleasant also has a lot of church-run and private pre-schools that offer full and half-day programs. The Recreation Department has a lot of programs for children under 5 or 6 and also runs a very good sports program for older children.

There are other nice areas around here -- West Ashley, Summerville, James Island, etc.

From what I have heard, and you may be familiar with in FL, getting insured can be an issue here because of Mt. Pleasant's location to the coast and hurricane-shy insurance companies.

The Charleston area is great, has an abundance of good restaurants and attractions and is a fun place to live (except for the humidity in the summers!) Hope you enjoy it.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Charleston

I too would like to know where in the Charleston area is still possible to buy a 3 bedroom, two story house house under $300,000. In a nice area that has neighborhoods and sidewalks, not too far for anything and convenient to beaches and downtown. All the above for under $300?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Charleston

If you search you will probably find something that meets your requirements for that price. You will NOT an abundance of options in that price range that meet those requirements. Prices are fairly high here due to desirability of the area and so many people moving in.

Good Luck.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Charleston

You might want to consider Summerville---its only 20 miles or so from Charleston and offers many lovely homes in the price range you are asking for......as a matter of fact, my son and his wife are selling their home, its a 2 story, formal lv. room, dinning room, great room and kitchen downstair, and three large bedrooms upstairs, with a huge family room or extra bedroom up there also....2 car garage and one of the largest backyards you'll find in the neighborhood..... it's a fairly new home about 4 yrs. old....I think they are asking $245,000. the beach is about 25 mi. away, but is less crowded than Mt. Pleasant, or charleston.....my daughter-in law works at North Trident Medical Center, which is only 10 miles from summerville.

Fort Myers
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Charleston

Well thank you guys for the input, I was doing some house hunting online and it looks like West Ashley may have some affordable housing. How is West Ashley? Is it a nice area? Safe? Convienent?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Charleston

FL -

I live in West Ashley and it used to be a wonderful place to live. I love my neighborhood, especially so as it's incredibly convenient to pretty much anything; 3 miles to the mall, 2 miles to the Interstate, 10 minutes to downtown, etc.

Unfortunately, WA is changing, and it's not for the better. My son is a senior at the sole public high school here and, despite the fact that it's only a few years old and one of the largest in the area/state, it is a hugely underachieving school.

For whatever reason, the population over here is growing quite quickly and the traffic is horrible. So you have to choose your priorities carefully.

My house is a 3 bedroom, FROG, big yard, 1800+sqft residence on a cul-de-sac and I 'might' be able to get 250k for it. I would love to be able to have someone offer me 300k - I might just have to jump on that!

I sure miss the old West Ashley.

7. Re: Moving to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 23:16