We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Hi, I'm planning a business trip to Charleston in late February, and was wondering if y'all could help me select a restaurant or two (or five or six...).

First off you should know that one in our party is a vegetarian. But we are looking for perhaps a nice upscale meal in the downtown area only. I've been to Charleston a few times, so I'm a little familiar. I've eaten at the Oak (fantastic-- but again you don't take a veggie to somewhere famous for their steaks) and Magnolia (also very good), but am looking to try something new. Our budget is perhaps $50 a plate, but a great meal we don't mind paying more.

And maybe if y'all could suggest one midprice dinner place as well, where it won't break the bank ($20 per person maybe?).

We'll also be eating lunch in downtown, so a point in the right direction would be appreciated. We don't need a fancy lunch spot, just someplace with good food and we're not picky about where-- other than we want it to be downtown and don't want to eat at a chain.

We'd also like to avoid the usual tourist traps, so probably not Hyman's Seafood. We're looking to get a local flavor of Charleston and don't want to stand in line for mass-produced food. A good Southern cooking place or barbecue (our veggie will just have to deal with it) is a must for at least one of these meals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

I forgot to mention-- our vegetarian is allergic to the hormones in beef and chicken, but can eat seafood with no problems. Sorry I forgot to say that. But on the upside it does make it easier to find restaurants-- at least she's not strict vegan!

Again, thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

visist shems creek and take your pick. on the water, fresh, and all seem to offer a variety from fresh catch to fried. good luck!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

In the heart of downtown, try Joseph's (Meeting near the corner with Queen) for breakfast or lunch. Popular, local, low ambience and low prices. Lowcountry with a twist of creole. Fabulous fried oyster po' boy, fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits. You can eat in or take out. Always busy, so you might have to wait outside for a few minutes, which is not so bad on a good day. Staff is extremely cordial.

Outside of downtown (maybe on the way to or from Savannah), try The Mustard Seed, on Maybank Highway. The seafood specials are always wonderful. Salads are also very good. Surprisingly good wine list for such a "homey" place.

Also downtown:

82 Queen is also very good for variation on lowcountry cooking, and it is located in a lovely antique house. Open for lunch and dinner.

Hank's Seafood is, in our opinion, beter than Hyman's. You can eat at the community table, but we think you get better service and food if you wait or make a reservation for a private table. Dinner only.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Any opinion on Cypress?

Thanks for the tips on 82 Queen-- it seems to have hit or miss reviews on here, but perhaps we'll try it.

The lunch spot you suggest sounds good (Joseph's). I checked out their menu online and my mouth was watering.

Hank's-- is the majority of their seafood fried? I love seafood but I can get fried seafood in Savannah, if I wanted to go that route.

Any other hole-in-the-walls or fine dining that we just can't miss? Again, I love to save money, but noit at the expense of a good meal. I LOVE good food!

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

not secrets but excellent and worth a visit. all will accommodate the vegetarian, call ahead.

peninsula grill - best in town

cru cafe for lunch - don't miss this gem - also can do dinner

i have a friens who is a vegetarian and eats at oak often - she is always pleased

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Joseph's is always good, simple and cheap. I have no hesitation at all in recommending it.

I also have no hesitation in recommending The Mustard Seed, which is not fancy but is very good.

82 Queen disappointed us a couple of times at lunch in 2005, in quality of both food and service. In fact, it was awful! Recently, 82 Queen seems to have recovered. I think it is worth a shot because the atmosphere is extremely pleasant and, if they are on their game, the food will be great. I hope I am not misleading you.

Magnolia's is the personal favorite of a good friend of ours who is a professional chef. Magnolia's "little sister" restaurant, Blossom, we would not recommend.

Hank's does do great fried seafood; but they also do delicious local dishes, especially with grouper and shrimp, that are not fried. We really like their appetizers and desserts as well. Hank's is a fun place although it may not be very different from places you have in Savannah.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Magnolia's is excellent. I ate there once before and had a fantastic meal. I may go back for one of our available evenings, and try a new restaurant for all of the other meals.

NC
Level Contributor
475 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

We always go to Shem's Creek for some seafood while in Charleston and we love Poogan's Porch for lunch.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

What's good at Poogan's Porch? I'm intrigued.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

tram3-

I just found the link (below), where you can check out menus for most of the restaurants we have been posting about ...

americascuisine.com/city.cfm/city/charleston

Checking the menu will probably help you decide what is right for your group.