We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

Hi, my husband and I will be visiting Columbia this summer and don't really know the area. We originally made reservations at Rodeway Inn but after reading the reviews, we're thinking of cancelling them (that and the fact that cancellation policy says we have to cancel 45 days in advance or we will be charged a night - not that I plan to cancel, but still, 45 days before??).

Our other choices were Best Western, Comfort Inn, and Clarion Town House. Anything good in those, or should we keep looking? Are any of those hotels nice, clean, and in a decent neighborhood?

Thanks in advance!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

I think you need to narrow things down- there are hundreds of places to stay in the area. Why are you going to Columbia? What part of town are you visiting? What's the top dollar you are willing to spend? Also- there's more than one of some of the hotels you mentioned. Which address? Best wishes.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

I would strongly recommend you NOT stay at the Rodeway Inn. That place is the PITS. I work a block from this hotel and can tell you, it is not a high quality place. A coworker of mine stayed there recently (he works in Georgia but wanted to stay overnight somewhere inexpensive and close to our office) and he commented on how outdated and dirty the place was. It is connected to a Chick-fil-la...which is not bad, but 95% of the restaurants and stores within walking distance of the hotel close between 3-6 p.m., excluding a pizza hut, M Cafe' (which is very good Asian) and the restaurant at the Marriott about a block down.

The Clarion Town House is not bad. They have their own restaurant which is fairly good. If you do chose thist place, I would request a room in the inside building. They have a back part of the hotel which has rooms accessible from the outside and can be noisy and are not as up-to-date as the rooms in the main building. There is nothing within walking distance and it is not the most aestheically pleasing side of town.

The Best Western and Comfort Inn...where are these located? There are several as the other poster commented. I have to agree with another statement they said...why are you coming to Columbia? It really isn't a big tourist attraction area. If you want to come to SC, I would suggest Charleston, as it is on the coast, beautiful and has much more to offer.

Regardless, I would cancel the Rodeway Inn reservation...yuck.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

Of the places you mention, I would stay at the Clarion. If you have flexibility, try the Hampton Inn (Gervais Street) or the Inn at USC -- both are in the same part of Columbia but the immediate area is more interesting. (The general part of Columbia that all of these hotels are located is fine.) There are PLENTY of things to do in Columbia -- can't believe the previous reply would say otherwise. Try the Columbia Museum of Art, the State Museum, the Robert Mills Historic Home, Hampton-Preston Mansion, many parks, activities on the river, Congaree National Park, shop in the Vista, Devine Street, or Five Points, tour the State House, tour USC, Riverbanks Zoo, etc. etc. -- more than enough for a nice vacation. You could even take the short drive to Camden or Newberry (both small towns nearby) for a nice day trip. Have fun!

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

I am just saying, when comparing other cities in SC to Columbia, Columbia does not have much to offer. Sure you can do things like tour the University of South Carolina, but when on vacation, who wants to tour a college campus crawling with students busy in the semester? Not my idea of relaxation. And 5 Points? The construction down there is enough to make me want to avoid the place completely, not to mention the night life is a haven for college students looking to get drunk and relieve the stress of the week. And shopping in 5 Points? There are just as many bars there as there are stores to shop in. And forget about parking. Yes there are the museums and the zoo, but Charleston has these attractions too, in addition the the aquarium, the IMAX theater, Fort Sumter...I could go on and on. (Charleston has a zoo at Charlestown Landing) My point is when planning a trip to SC, Charleston is a more viable option than Columbia. Anywhere on the Internet will tell you that, as well as most people who are familiar with both cities. I have lived in Columbia for 22 years and Charleston for 8, and would chose Charleston any day, as most other would as well.

Columbia SC
Level Contributor
69 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

DEFINITELY cancel the Rodeway. YUCK.

If you want the downtown area, Marriott is there, and you can find great rates if you book well in advance.

Again, I have to say -- the Inn at USC is wonderful. I have family visit me often, and that has become one of our top choices. www.innatusc.com. Don't book online, though -- call for the best rates and discounts.

I stayed at the Clarion when I was interviewing for my job here in Columbia, and I can't recommend it, either. There was a smashed, dead roach on my room service tray when it was delivered, for one thing.

Comfort Inn on Huger and Tayloe isn't bad -- but it's not really walkable to lot of fun stuff to see or do. However, if I had to pick from the list you provided, I would pick it above the other places you mentioned.

Hampton Inn in the Vista (on Gervais St.) also rocks. Check it out.

6. Re: Choice of hotels in Columbia -which one is the best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Columbia