We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edisto area dining options

Which Edisto Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Edisto area dining options

My family will be in Edisto next week. What are some nice dining options? Apparently, the Old Post Office has not re-opened yet. Has anyone eaten at the Plantation grill - if so, what is the menu like? Many thanks for any advice!!!

Cleveland, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edisto area dining options

Hi! First of all, have you ever been to Edisto? We have been going for many years and there's not a whole lot of places to choose from. We always eat at the Waterfront restaurant which is located beside the Dockside restaurant. To me, Waterfront is better than Dockside. Dockside has some great fish stew though and the food is okay. But the best meal that we have ever had while on Edisto was going to Bell Buoy's seafood shop and buying shrimp and flounder and then going back to our beach house and cooking it ourselves. Bell Buoy's have some good seafood and Mrs. Bell makes some good casseroles! I've heard that the Pavilion restaurant was bought by the same people that run the Waterfront restaurant. I don't know if it is up and running yet. There's also a restaurant on the golf course but I haven't eaten there since they changed ownership. Have a great time and hope this helps!

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Edisto area dining options

Hello,

we recently enjoyed a great week in Edisto. (our 4th trip) However, there are renovations going on in a couple of the restaurants. The Old Post Office is not yet open and probably will not be for the summer. The Pavilion is also closed for renovations. We were told by the nice ladies at one of the gift shops that they prefer "The Old Firehouse" (or something like that) in Hollywood, which is right off 174. We tried to get there but ran out of nights! It is an actual old firehouse and we were told the food is outstanding. We ALWAYS make a point of eating at PO BO's Bo-B-Q on 174. It's an authentic low-country buffet, all you can eat and very good. We ate at the Sunset Grill, but they kept running out of things and the service was not great. Food was pretty good, though. We always make a trip to Port Royal (spend the day at Hunting Island Beach first) to the 11th St. Dockside which is great seafood and beautiful scenery. You can watch boats bringing in shrimp, etc.. If you go there you must try the She-Crab soup.

Ruby Seahorse was reopened as "McConkey's Jungle Shack". Cute and fun with good sandwiches, salads, nachos, etc.. They brought cards for my kids to play while we waited for our food and they sell local art.

I am looking forward to next year, when the renovations will be finished, but we never went hungry, that's for sure! Possibly our favorite meal is eaten at the beach house. We go down to Kings Market on 174 and buy a tomato pie and a key lime pie from the freezer, some corn on the cob and a bag of cheese grits! Kings Market is wonderful. For me to opt for cooking at home rather than a restaurant, you know it must be!

Have a great time and enjoy the food!

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Edisto area dining options

Forgot to answer your question: Have not eaten at the Plantation Grille. We tried a couple years ago but it wasnot open then. If you eat there on your trip let us know how it was when you get back!

Raleigh
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edisto area dining options

We just returned from a week at Edisto - great time!!! We had 5 dinners out and cooked in twice. Here is my brief synopsis: Best dinner was at Plantation Grill - My wife had the crab cakes and I had the Tuna - both were outstanding. The cost was around $18 - $22 per entree. Highly recommend!! We also had very good meals at Waterfront (great scallops) and Sunset Grill. Dockside was good, not great. I thought the prices at all 4 restaurants were pretty similar. It took a hour to get a table at Waterfront (Friday night) and 45mins (Saturday night) at Dockside. We did not have a wait at the other 2 places (Monday & Wednesday). We also got pizza take-out from Bucks - very good.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edisto area dining options

About two weeks ago, there was a newspaper review of Dean Walker's restaurant in Hollywood which was very flattering. I've lived around here pretty much my whole life and I've never eaten at Dean's, so when we go to Edisto next week, I think we're gonna give ole Dean a shot.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edisto area dining options

We're down here now - I can see the waves from this dining room table. My MIL and SIL went to SeaCow for breakfast yesterday morning and loved it so much they went again for lunch and are there now for breakfast again!!

Their menu looks great but we haven't yet gone.

Cleveland, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Edisto area dining options

Hey Floski!

i'm so jealous! We won't be coming to Edisto until October and I can hardly wait. How's the beach? Are there any shells? We love to look for shells and sharks teeth. When we were there in October last year there were hardly any shells or teeth. I figured it had a lot to do with all that sand they pumped up from the ocean onto the beach. I hope that Edisto doesn't lose it's shells and teeth. We would still love it. It's like home away from home. Have they got the Pavilion restaurant open yet? Thanks for sharing!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edisto area dining options

Hey, BBG

It's raining today; kinda has thrown a wrench into my plans but what the heck - we're not at work and plans are just a suggestion around here anyway!

We were looking for shells yesterday but didn't have a whole lot of luck. I remember years ago this was a great place to find shells, but I think your theory is pretty good. There are certainly plenty of broken up shells under those waves and they really hurt until you can get past them into deeper water.

We haven't gone to the pavillion yet, but it looks like it's open. I'll have to take the kids up there and see. I saw three big old Sysco trucks there on Wednesday, so I guess they were delivering all of their food.

I'll update later!

Cleveland, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Edisto area dining options

Hey Floski!

Thanks for the info. I remember when there were a ton of shells at Edisto too. I was hoping that some of that sand had washed back down so the shells could make it to the shore. We could always find different kinds of shells and conchs. What about sharks teeth? Any luck finding any of those? We always had a contest to see who could find the most! We went to Sanibel Island in Florida this summer because we heard about the shells there and we were not disappointed. They were plentiful but no sharks teeth. So then we heard about Venice Beach in Florida and how they were the sharks teeth capital of the world. We drove up one day while we were at Sanibel and boy were they wrong. We found lots more teeth at Edisto than at Venice! Guess you could say lesson learned. I just hope that we will have some luck when we get there in October. Just wish it was time to go now! Let me know if you try the Pavillion restaurant. Also heard that they might extend the pier back out. Don't know if that's true or not. Have fun and dig your toes in the sand for me!!!

10. Re: Edisto area dining options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island
Recent Conversations