We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Edisto Beach!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Edisto Beach!

We are traveling to Edisto in mid October with our 2 dogs and staying on the beach for a week. We would love any and all suggestions as far as good places to eat, things to see and do on the island and nearby (must be dog friendly). We are also interested in suggestions for day trips. So far I have looked into Savannah, GA & Beaufort, SC. We will also be visiting Charleston a couple of days (and would love suggestions for good restaurants, etc.)

We are so excited for our trip. We haven't had a beach vacation in 7 years.

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Edisto Beach!

My wife and I are going to Edisto for our second visit in a few weeks...I will be sure to send you some updates. Edisto is so laid back and yes room for dogs to enjoy!! There are a limited number of restaurants on Edisto, as you will find it is NOT commercialized...but the local places are very good if not excellent! Waterfront is a good one;I like the Sea Cow and McConkeys for lunch. Whaleys is also another good spot (looks like a hole in the wall but they have karaoke and bands at night; foods quite good too. Also just outside Edisto is the Post Office restaurant which was our favorite meal last time there!!

As promised I will send some updates...hope this gets you started!!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Edisto Beach!

Try out Bo Pigs for a great barbecue buffet, it's in a hole in the wall connected to a gas station, but inside is some really great food. Take a day and go see Botany Bay beach too.

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Edisto Beach!

Follow up: My wife and I had a most enjoyable day walking the beach North from the Pavillion Restaurant (@ Beach Access 1). The beach is unincumbered by breakers that you will find going southward on the island. We saw MANY people with dogs walking on the beach (just be prepared to take care of their 'buisness' along the way!) This north section of Edisto will give you ample opportunity to find seashells at low-tide.

Restaurant recommendations: be aware that many of the establishments are NOT open Sun-Mon, F Y I, however you will not be without food choices! My wife and I have been to the Sea Cow 3 times in the last 2 days. Sea Cow is an excellent diner 'where the locals go' and where the visitors go as well. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and for dessert are ALL good times to go!! : ) (my wife now has an addiction to the coconut cream pie!) We also had a lovely dinner at the Waterfront last night: grilled shrimp and grits and pecan crusted whole flounder...both yum! Waterfront restaurant may have shortened hours after Labor Day check with them during the day or simply go early...heard some folks say they arrive there for dinner and were turned away because they were closing early?!?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Edisto Beach!

THANKS!!! And thank you Tndale for the heads up on restaurants being closed on Sun & Mon. We are arriving on Sun. evening and we were just discussing the other day...if we should stop somewhere and have dinner on Edisto, or grab something at a market before we hit Edisto and cook dinner at our rental (although cooking dinner after a 12 hr drive and unloading, wasn't my first choice). Just 6 more weeks! We are so ready for vacation :)

5. Re: First Trip to Edisto Beach!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island
Recent Conversations