We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Which Edisto Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Hi,

We are going to stay on Kiawah the first week of June with our 4-year old. We'd love to visit Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park but from what I've discovered so far, it sounds like the hikes to the actual beache/s might be too long and strenuous for a young kid even an active one. Can someone please describe how long the walk is from the visitor center/parking to the beach, the type of terrain, humidity in early June, etc.? I assume there are mosquitoes there and other insects too? Can we bike there? Are there guided tours? In short, is it worth trying to take a 4-year old there or better wait a few years?

Thanks for any guidance.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Hi, Julia. May I ask what particularly interests you about Edisto State Park and Botany Bay Plantation? Much of the unspoiled nature characterizing the area is also typical of areas on and around Kiawah and Seabrook, which are just north and visible from Botany. In fact, you can take a boat - either a guided trip or go on your own in a rented motor boat - cross the Edisto River toward Botany and into the marsh creeks from Bohicket Marina. Please give us more details about your interests so that we can better advise you.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Here is information on a self-guided driving tour of Botany Bay Plantation - https:/…botanybaydrivingtour.pdf

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Thank you for such a quick reply. As an avid photographer, i would love to take pictures of Botany Bay's unique scenery, especially the Boneyard (if i'm not mistaken, this is the place with dead trees in the water, trees covered with shells). Also, i understand that the wildlife we may encounter is more diverse and numerous than in other more developed areas. I will check the link you provided, thank you again.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Ah, yes! Now I understand.

Botany Bay is an over-one-hour drive from Kiawah (so near and yet so far); but, there are photo-worthy sites along the way as well as some pleasant restaurants. When your plans develop we can provide more details.

Edisto Beach itself is quite a contrast to Kiawah, so be sure to spend some time driving around. On our first visit to Kiawah we traveled to other islands with our 1.5-year-old and our 3-year-old. No problems! They enjoyed it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

We, too, were thinking about taking a day trip to Botany Bay during our early April stay in Charleston (actually staying in Mt. Pleasant). How does it compare to Bull Island? How much time should we allow? Kiawahvilla, any suggestions for restaurants? Thanks.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Botany Bay won't be of much interest to a four year old at all. The driving tour won't take but a half an hour or so.

I'd suggest a nice drive through Wadmalaw Island , out to Rockville and Cherry Point as an alternative, very picturesque and a wonderful look at another side of the Lowcountry. You can include visits to the Tea Plantation and Firefly Distillery.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

The Angel Oak Restaurant, on Rt 17 north just south of the Main Road intersection toward Kiawah is family friendly and good for lunch or dinner. http://www.angeloakrestaurant.com/about.php

There are also some good restaurants on Edisto. I loved one place with a lowcountry "soul food" lunch buffet. Best tomato pie I've ever tasted. It was right by the side of the road, but I can't remember the name. Need the Edisto experts to help!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Botany Bay has a marked driving tour that takes you to a couple of nice overlooks by tidal creeks, two areas of plantation ruins, and a parking space where you set off to walk 1/2 mile to the boneyard beach. Depending on time of year, you'll see birds and/or deer. Other wild things are quite elusive. Plenty of alligators, but you can see them closer to Kiawah.

Between Charleston and Edisto Beach you could stop at Dungannon Nature Preserve or Caw Caw County Park. The Grove Plantation (US Fish&Wildlife) is something out of the way from Adams Run, but the wildlife around their old ricefields is worth the trip.

You can find lunch not so far from Kiawah in the area of Main Road and Highway 17. Next chance would be in Hollywood, or on Edisto Island. Po Pig's BBQ adjoins a grocery store of sorts. On "front beach" Edisto are numerous places to eat and free parking at the beachfront State Park.

Bulls Island is north of Charleston. It involves a long drive, a ferry ride, and a lengthy hike to the boneyard beach. If it's warm, you'll see more alligators than you wanted to. Front beach is an easy walk from the landing, but unless you crave solitude you'll get just a good sand/surf experience at Isle of Palms or Kiawah. I would not take a child to Bulls Island - they'd think it's strenuous and boring.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

You'll find plenty of deer and gators on Kiawah, though many gators may be buried in the muck, away from the heat of June.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember shells growing on trees at the Boneyard, but I may be confusing my beaches.

What kind of wildlife are you looking for?

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Thank you all so much for very useful tips, advice and possible alternatives. So much to consider! In terms of wildlife, I meant area birds, perhaps turtles, crabs, etc. I want to say alligators too, but not sure how safe it is especially with a child (I know I may sound totally silly to the locals but I have no clue what I'm talking about, it's our first time there)...

Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island
Recent Conversations