We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Ban Enforced?

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Drinking Ban Enforced?

If you have a rental away from the main public beach down one of the sides of the island, and wish to drink privately alone using a coozy, will you be caught? Is the drinking ban that strictly enforced that one maybe two people can't quietly drink and read while enjoying the ocean at folly beach?

Richmond, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

I just took my first, and most likely my last trip to Folly Beach due to this law. We were on the beach on a weekday afternoon and Beach Patrol rolled up under the guise that he wanted to help us tidy up our spot by picking up an empty water bottle beside a chair in our spot. Mind you our group consisted of several 50 year olds and a couple of our 20 something kids. He greeted us and ask how our day was. He then asked one of the 20 something's to show him what she was drinking from the can with a blue top. When she presented her Sprite can to him, he immediately began to apologize and said he thought it was a Bud Light can. He then asked the other 20 something what he had in his coozy. Dr. Pepper was the drink there. Were we disturbing anyone? No. Were we being loud and obnoxious? No. Were we harassed by Folly Beach Patrol? Yes. Do they enforce their new law? Apparently. Will I spend my next vacation and my hard earned dollars in Folly Beach and be subjected to unwarranted searches like this? Not a chance.

12. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 04:35
13. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 09:35
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

You were on his beach, he has the right to inquire. He (by your admission) was not rude. He does not have the right to inquire "only" if you are rude and obnoxious. Beaches have rules. Sorry that you did not like them.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

Kevin, you need to do some reading on the history of Folly Beach and why there is a drinking ban in place, then maybe you'd understand why they query all sorts of people, not just those being a nuisance.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

Endo, your right but I can understand the emotional side of the issue. Probable cause seems a bit weak given just a visable blue top, but as you stated its his judgement to make the call. Too move on after he was wrong seems overly aggressive IMO. He should of said have a nice day and moved on.

17. Re: Drinking Ban Enforced?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach
Recent Conversations