We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

Which Folly Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience similar to ours... We visited Folly Beach because the Mayor is a distant cousin and our family in Charleston recommended the area. We rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue in July 2014 and would not recommend it. The pictures on the rental site were taken a long time ago and the property has not been kept up well since then. There were numerous issues that we tried to address with the property management company throughout the week: the sliding glass door to the deck/pool only had one set of rollers, so we had to wrestle it open/close; the shower head in bathroom #1 popped off; the glass shower door in bathroom #3 wouldn't close all the way; moldy/mildewy tile in shower #3 (all over the place, not just in the corners), caulk hanging down into drain; leaking faucets throughout the house; bed canopy slats fell down on one bed because the finials were missing; the bottom door of the oven was broken off, laying on floor; 2 out of 4 gas burners on the stove were not working; ripped up roll-up plastic window blinds (everywhere, not just in one room); broken deck furniture (no bottoms to the chairs); a lot of cobwebs, dust, dirt; overgrown vegetation around the pool – only one side of the coping around the pool can be used and there’s hardly any place for the one chair placed poolside; dirty pool (needed to be vacuumed, water was clear but a lot of bugs, plant debris, etc. in it) - they cleaned it on Friday morning so we had 1 day with it clean; broken pool skimmer (you could see it had been duct-taped before and was broken again), so we couldn’t clean it ourselves…we ended up buying a skimmer at the local WalMart. The owner is a judge nicknamed “Bubber” who fancies himself a writer and to that end he propagandizes his books throughout the house; they must not be selling well because the lack of care for this house and its rental guests is evident. The property management company gave us a partial refund ($890 out of the $3900 for the week) and told us that it was coming out of their coffers because the owner refused to concede the safety / cleaning issues were of any concern to him. There are better houses out there – please find one of them and stay away from “In Chambers”. If you did rent the property, were you able to obtain at least a partial refund?

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

Great we are scheduled to arrive in September .. I have already brought this review to the attention of Avocet and LaWanda .. and they assure me these issues were already addressed and taken care of...I will be posting again as to what we find ... Thanks for the heads up

Hanover...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

I notice that they have the house listed on TripAdvisor now...I submitted a review (basically the same as above) along with as many pictures as I could...we just don't want anyone to have the same experience we had. The funny thing is, the house is booked up (based on their availability calendar) but I have a feeling it's all from first-time renters. I can't imagine anyone wanting to come back to this house after an initial experience. Some of the issues were long-term and didn't just happen overnight, so unless Avocet really stepped up to the plate and made modifications / repairs right after we left (while other renters were staying there? hmmm...tad inconvenient!) I would wonder about the affirmation of "already addressed and taken care of...". At any rate, if it's still the way it was when we were there and the house is not up to par I would definitely suggest requesting at least a partial refund. Good luck!

Hanover...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

Johnna T, how was your rental experience last month?

4. Re: Has anyone rented "In Chambers" on W. Indian Avenue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2015, 06:16