We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Market on Fripp?

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood Market on Fripp?

So we are headed to Fripp island for the week. I have heard/read an awful lot about shrimp boats, fishing etc. In the area... I've also been reading a lot about how litle shopping opportunity there is there. Does anyone know if I will find a good seafood market on the island though?

If not on the island, perhaps just off the island?

Thanks,

Gillian

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

The only place to buy groceries of any kind on the island is basically a convenience store. However, the Gay Fish Company near the end of St Helena Island on the way to Fripp does have fresh caught seafood.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

You will likely see local shrimpers selling shrimp on the side of the road heading into Fripp. There is a Publix (25 minutes or so from Fripp) heading back towards Beaufort.

Brookline
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

Ok. Thanks to all of you. Honestly, it seems a little strange that groceries and such seem so hard to come by... This just never occurred to me as the type of thing that would be an issue... Anyway I appreciate the feedback. We'll be sure to try to find some supplies before we hit the island.

Thanks,

Gillian

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

Many island communities are largely residential. Overhead is more reasonable on the mainland, and there's more room for large stores.

Google maps has a "search nearby" tool that you can use to find what you need.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

Keep in mind the Fripp is a private, gated community with relatively few year-round residents and closely controlled development.

West Columbia...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

Many locals use Bradley's Seafood on ST Helena on the way to Fripp. Mr. Bradley has his own boat! They even have shrimp already cleaned. We suggest buying bags of shrimp to take home and freeze for the winter. You won't find a better place, but look carefully as you go down the road. It is a small white cinder block building in front of their house. There is a big rusty anchor in the front. We have bought from Mrs. Bradley for over 25 years. It is the BEST!

7. Re: Seafood Market on Fripp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Fripp Island
Recent Conversations