We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

less crowded.

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
less crowded.

Hi, we always go to OBX. We do stay in Kill Devil Hills which is the busiest part but still mellow compared to MB. So, we have decided to go somewhere different this year. We are late renting this year. So, we are looking at Garden City, Surfside, Litchfield or North Myrtle....which area woud be the LEAST crowded? When looking at rentals in Garden City everything is listed by north or south of pier...by miles. Is north or south more busy? Thanks in advance everyone!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: less crowded.

I think Litchfield will be the least crowded. I used to spend quite a lot of time there, before moving to the Isle of Palms.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: less crowded.

I believe the far south side of Garden City and perhaps some sections of Litchfield would be the least crowded of the areas you listed. In Garden City, you would want to be at least 1 mile south of the Garden City Pier which only has 1 road on a peninsula with houses on both sides of the road. Here is a google map on the location: https://maps.google.com/maps…

If you want to be on the Grand Strand but with fewer people, you may want to consider Pawleys Island which has a couple areas with just a row or two of houses. https://maps.google.com/maps…

FYI, the north side of Surfside Beach is mostly residential and is my favorite place to vacation, but the south side of Garden City and the specific sections in Litchfield and Pawleys Island where it is also just a row or two of houses would have fewer people on the beach.

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: less crowded.

Thank you!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: less crowded.

Litchfield and Pawley's Island are so lovely.

But I have to warn you, as one who has vacationed on the OBX for most of my life (1974 - 2012)

You may never want to vacation on the OBX again once you have been to Pawley's/Litchfield.

MUCH less traffic than the OBX (don't go via MB, go through Georgetown, SC)

Much nicer, wider beaches, less rough, more reliable water temperatures.

The OBX is wild by comparison, weather wise and ocean wise.

Another difference would be less commercial stuff on Pawley's, and the shopping that is there is more "one of a kind" shops, like at the Hammock Shops (google it) or the shops on Front St. in Georgetown- just across the Waccamaw and Sampit rivers.

The south end of Pawley's is really beautiful- ocean on one side, creek on the other, only one row of houses in between.

There are plenty of things to do, like visiting Brookgreen Gardens (they have a groupon going on now and tickets are good for 7 days),

touring Hopsewee plantation and enjoying their full southern tea afterwards.

see Hobcaw Barony (on our short list for our next visit)

If you are into amenities(pools and lazy river, gym and spa), you might want to check out Litchfield Beach and Golf resort.

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: less crowded.

Thank you!! It's so hard to decide.....your info is very helpful. I am looking in this area now. :)

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: less crowded.

South of the pier!

7. Re: less crowded.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2016, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Garden City Beach
More Garden City Beach Topics