We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Restaurant with Kids

We will be in Greenville the weekend of 5/28 with our two kids (5 and 9). I really loved the downtown/West End area last time we were there. Are there any good, non-chain restaurants in that area that would be OK with kids at dinner? They are well behaved and we often take them to restaurants as nice or nicer than Outback. View and good wine list would be a bonus.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
53 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Trio Brick Oven pizza may be a nice spot... it's located right in Downtown between the Hyatt and Falls Park. They have outdoor seating, which is quite pleasant in Greenville thanks to that lovely tree canopy...

http://www.triocafe.com/

Two other suggestions in downtown, both on Main Street... Although both of these are "chains", they are not national in scope and are also decent places, especially for kids: Sticky Fingers and Wild Wing Cafe... both have outdoor seating as well.

Mentioned in this post
Wild Wing Cafe
Wild Wing Cafe
119 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Trio is a good suggestion but let me give you some options nearer the West End. Chicora Alley is a favorite with my family. It has somewhat of a college pub atmosphere but with outstanding, affordable food and a kids menu. My daughter (11yr) loves the school lunch pizza. My wife and I love everything on the menu and they have decent wine options. There is somewhat of a view of the Falls Park area. It’s a little hard to find but worth it. www.chicoraalley.com

Next door is my current favorite restaurant Pomegranate on Main (www.pomegranateonmain.com). It’s Persian restaurant that serves a lot of kabobs with various marinades and assortments of rice. There is no kids menu but the flavors are accessible. It has good wines and fabulous Pomegranate martini’s (I highly recommend!). Also, there is outdoor seating.

Finally you might consider Liberty Tap Room in the heart of the West End (adjacent to the Greenville Drive Stadium). It has a large traditional menu with a nice drink menu and would be kid friendly.

www.libertytaproom.com

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
53 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Chicora Alley
Chicora Alley
171 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Liberty Tap Room
Liberty Tap Room
140 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Thanks for your suggestions. I think Trio or Liberty Tap Room might do it, though I was hoping possibly for something a bit fancier. Pomegranate intrigues me, but I think it would be a hard sell with the kids.

If anyone else has good ideas, feel free to chime in ....

Mentioned in this post
Liberty Tap Room
Liberty Tap Room
140 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Since you like Outback, I think you should consider Rio Grill. It's a step up from the others. If you haven't experienced a Brazilian Steakhouse, it's a LOT of fun! Our kids get a kick out of the wait staff swarming around offering you more meat.

www.riogrille.com

Soby's and The Lazy Goat are "fancier" but I'm not as sure about food options for the kids. The Lazy Goat has tapas style options and a beautiful view of the river walk. You can research both at;

www.table301.com/

Mentioned in this post
Soby's
Soby's
1,345 Reviews
Greenville, SC
The Lazy Goat
The Lazy Goat
877 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Opinions4 - Thank you so much for your input. I'll mention these to husband and see what interests him, and possibly to kids... but the ones who pay get to decide! You've been a lot more helpful than the restaurant reviews here on TA. I'm sure we'll be happy with one of these.

I'm assuming everything will be busy if it's Saturday night? We should probably call ahead and reserve, if possible?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

You might be OK without reservations if you go early but my experience is by 6:30 there is already a wait at most places. I would advise reservations if possible. I hope you have a good time and please let us know how it went!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Plan to try one of the above. Will report back after weekend. Thanks again.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Made reservation at Soby's, which has a kids' menu, surprisingly. Will let you know how it is.

Mentioned in this post
Soby's
Soby's
1,345 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
882 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

Liked Soby's quite a bit. Has a nice ambiance, and a good menu. My crab cakes were great; husband's meatloaf was dry. Wish he had sent it back. Kids liked it, and the staff was nice to them. So it was a good choice. Thanks.

10. Re: Downtown Restaurant with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Greenville