We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do while visiting?

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
What to do while visiting?

My husband and I will be visiting Greenville in July for 3 days. He'll be stuck in conferences, but I'll be on my own during the day. We'll have a rental car, and we're staying downtown. Any suggestions?

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do while visiting?

Hi stefnicole,

You will definitely enjoy yourself, and good for you that you are staying downtown. Downtown Greenville itself is a wonderful spot, with a cool, tree-lined Main Street lined with neat shops and great restaurants with outdoor dining. Adjacent to downtown is the Falls Park on the Reedy which is a great spot to relax and enjoy the 60 foot waterfall from a pedestrian bridge. Falls Park also is connected to the linear Cleveland Park which offers walking/jogging trails along the Reedy River. Greenville also has some neat museums, including the Upcountry History Museum, the Greenville County Museum of Art, and the Bob Jones Art Gallery.

On your other days, you may want to step outside of downtown. Lots of folks enjoy a tour of the BMW factory (about 15 minutes from downtown Greenville). If you're into nature and gardens, visit the grounds of Furman University, or take a hike in some of the state parks along the Blue Ridge Mountains just north of town. If you have more time, head west over to the Lake Hartwell area and explore the communities of Pendleton, Clemson, and Seneca, along with the campus of Clemson University.

The Upstate is a beautiful area, and Greenville is a wonderful, comfortable city. Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland Park
Cleveland Park
73 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Upcountry History Museum
Upcountry History Museum
152 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Pendleton
Pendleton
South Carolina
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Seneca
Seneca
South Carolina
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do while visiting?

beaufort-tiger! You always beat me to the punch and do a fabulous job, leaving little for me to add. Well done!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do while visiting?

Hi opinions!

Certainly not trying to steal your thunder... =) I just was on and happened to see the question. I used to live in the Upstate, and Greenville is one of my favorite places. I will see about nominating you as a Greenville Destination Expert.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 14:27
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do while visiting?

Do you have any recommendations for a daytrip? Within a ~2 hour drive?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do while visiting?

Consider visiting Ashville NC and in particular, The Biltmore Estate. It's an easy 45-60 min drive from Greenville. You may want to pass through Hendersonville NC on the way. It has a small quaint downtown area with interesting shops and restaurants.

http://www.biltmore.com/

www.exploreasheville.com/

www.historichendersonville.org/

Mentioned in this post
Hendersonville
Hendersonville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do while visiting?

A lovely drive up Highway 14 will take you to Landrum SC and just a bit farther is Tryon NC. Both towns have lovely restaurants and quaint shops. Nice downtown area for a leisurely stroll! Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Landrum
Landrum
South Carolina
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do while visiting?

Lots of Greenville stuff to do listed here: http://lakehartwellinsider.com

Wilmington, North...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do while visiting?

I was once in greenville while my husband was in conference, I drove about 2 1/2 hrs to bryson, nc...took a train ride thru the smoky mountains for 50 bucks....awesome!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do while visiting?

What would be the drive time from Greenville to Hilton Head?

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do while visiting?