We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Florida to Blowing Rock

Which Greenville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Florida to Blowing Rock

Hello all ;)

Trying to map out a plan. We will be driving the end of October from the east coast of Florida (staying one night in Savannah), to Blowing Rock NC for a week's vacation.

Just me and hubby (in our mid 50's).

Would like to experience all that the Carolina's has to offer; views, culture/people, food, music/art, hiking/waterfalls, and maybe a horseback ride.

Not a fan of things that smell like a money making enterprise (sorry, not a fan of the theme parks in FL,...I'm the one taking friends/family on a canoe trip on the river and enjoying a low key seafood lunch or dinner, weather permitting). So Biltmore doesn't interest me.

We are planning on the parkway...can't wait!!!

So, from Savannah, heading towards Blowing Rock....?? Any suggestions? We could stay a night or two anyplace that would make sense,...I'm just not sure what that looks like.

Thanks!!!

Sue

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Florida to Blowing Rock

Although it may seem redundant, you may want to consider visiting Charleston as well. The two are different enough to justify a visit IMHO. Charleston is one of my all time favorite places!

Since you're posting on the Greenville forum I assume you're considering our lovely town. I would budget at least two full days here. Our tree lined Main Street has numerous shops and restaurants to keep you occupied Of course Falls Park is the center piece of downtown

http://www.greenvillecvb.com/

I also have a great disdain for "money making enterprises" but The Biltmore is not one of them. There is much more to do than just tour the home (which is fabulous). I hope you reconsider :-)

http://www.biltmore.com/

Ashville is a wonderful city as well with much to do and see. You might consider a night at the Grove Park Inn. You could pick up the Blue Ridge Pkwy here.

www.groveparkinn.com/

www.exploreasheville.com/

Maybe beaufort-tiger can speak to more outdoor activities.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 01:16
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Florida to Blowing Rock

thanks for the post!

yea, thought is, since we are starting out rather late in the season (last week in October), might be good to hit the southern part of the area first to catch some color in the leaves, hopefully.

have a high school chum in Greenville.

she said she wanted us to stop in 'on our way'.

So, I am making Greenvilee on my way now...then Ashville.

Thanks for the link to your city. Main street sounds lovely. I love that about small towns!

Would like to see Charleston, but not sure we have the time. As it is, one night in Savannah? Not fair...then couple of hours in Greenville, and one night in Ashville? Might have to make that two nights in Ashville (considering Cumberland Falls B&B).

The onto Blowing Rock for a week. Blue Ridge Pkway, some hiking, good food, and R&R.

Any suggestions from this point?

3. Re: driving from Florida to Blowing Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Greenville