We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenville SC in November

Which Greenville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Greenville SC in November

I am going to Greenville for work and have a little time to look around. Are there any historical churches, plantations, etc to see on the one day we have off? What about Spartanburg, is there more there? I haven't been able to find anything like that on the internet and have always had a better chance here. The one day we have is on a Thursday; we want to see historical places, quaint, something we won't see in Washington state. I am also driving from Greenville to Raleigh NC; any great things to see? I am giving myself about 7 hours for the drive, although I know it won't take that long. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am leaving 11/2 so not much time!!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenville SC in November

For North Carolina barbecue on your way to Raleigh:

southernliving.com/travel/…

Greenville. SC
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenville SC in November

The Greenville/Spartanburg area isn't known for historical buildings. There are a few but nothing famous comes to mind. We do have a deep history with Civil War and Revolutionary War battles. I would suggest some research in those areas. Look up Bennett Place in Durham. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Union Gen. William T. Sherman met at Bennett Place where they signed surrender papers for Southern armies in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. It was the largest troop surrender of the Civil War.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenville SC in November

You might enjoy a day trip to Highlands, North Carolina. This is waterfall country--Bridal Veil Falls, Cullasaja Falls, Glen Falls and Dry Falls. Beautiful. Dress warmly--average high for that area in early November is in the upper 50's..

www.highlandhiker.com/Dry-Falls-sp-60.html

Also check out the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Drive.

byways.org/explore/byways/2161/travel.html

http://www.theupcountry.com/news/7sidetrips

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenville SC in November

Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway...sorry!

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenville SC in November

I would have to say Falls Park on the Reedy River with the the Liberty Bridge is the crown jewel of our City. The park is located in the historical West end of the City.

Bob Jones University has an amazing Religious Art Museum. It includes a variety paintings & Holy Land antiquities.

Spartanburg has a plantation called Walnut Grove.

Greer has a working grist mill called Suber's Corn Mill. Also in Greer is the BMW plant with a museum an an awesome tour of the plant.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenville SC in November

Greenville is a wonderful, mid-sized city, but as the others have alluded to, it is not in the historic heart of the South (you need to be down towards Charleston for that). However, Greenville's downtown is quite attractive, with Falls Park on the Reedy, lots of outdoor dining, and some additional attractions. I wouldn't visit Spartanburg over Greenville. Not a deeply historic place, but definitely a visitor-friendly city with a high "livability".

About 45 minutes from Greenville in the Clemson and Pendleton areas are a couple of sites that may interest you. On Clemson University's campus is the Fort Hill estate of John C. Calhoun, in addition to the South Carolina botanical gardens. Clemson's campus itself is a rather tranquil place to walk through (though it is hilly). Nearby Pendleton has a charming town square, and the Ashtabula Plantation home is also nearby. If you are there on a Friday or Saturday, be sure to check out Just More BBQ near Pendleton for an authentic, country style BBQ buffet.

A word of warning though: the "Upstate" region of South Carolina does not have the typical antebellum plantation architecture that one typically envisions in the South. However, there is plenty in the Greenville area to keep you busy. If nature is of interest, I definitely recommend checking out the state parks to the north of Greenville in the Blue Ridge Mountains, particularly Table Rock State Park. My favorite "non-natural activity is the BMW factory tour in Greer.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 15:54
7. Re: Greenville SC in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Greenville