We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is HH the destination for me?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is HH the destination for me?

I am currently looking for a destination for a beach vacation in mid August (probably the 13th through the 18th). Here are my details:

The party will consist of me, my husband and our 5 month old son, plus my parents. We don't really need shopping or restaurants since we will probably cook in and the goal is to enjoy the beach and each other's company. I would love for the water to be calm enough and warm enough to introduce my son to the joys of the ocean. The ideal beach would not be too crowded (that's really important to me - I live in a big city and vacation is about escaping the crowds, not finding new crowds!) and the ideal beach town would have no or high rise hotels / condos and very little heavy tourist infrastructure. In other words, no Panama City or Destin for me!

When my Dad first suggested HH, I said no because I have always thought of it as a major tourist destination, but after reading through some of the posts, I am wondering if I didn't dismiss it too hastily.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

Yep, you were a bit too hasty! :-)

Mid-August the crowds will be falling off everywhere, and there will be spots of the beach not too crowded, though you won't be by yourself.

While others can chime in with their favorite spots, I love the area of the beach in front of our Huntington villa in Palmetto Dunes, as it consists of South Beach townhomes ($4.5M oceanfront townhomes that are resident only, no short term renters) and Somerset villas, which are also resident only, no short term renters. These folks are rarely if ever on the beach, so the area right in front of them is pretty sparsely populated.

And, there's plenty of "tourist infrastructure" in Hilton Head, it's just hidden. The best of both worlds!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
369 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

In your list of must haves you just described Hilton Head. Yes, you did dismiss HH too hastily. Our family comes back year after year. I love the family atmosphere. The beach is perfect for little ones. The area has such wonderful natural surroundings. Very relaxing.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

"I love the area of the beach in front of our Huntington villa in Palmetto Dunes, as it consists of South Beach townhomes..."

Sorry, I was really sloppy with the name here. I inadvertantly revealed my absolute favorite secret beach spot in Key West...anyway, I meant "Townhomes at South Shore" in Leamington...

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

I defintely think you should consider HH. I think you will be quite surprised at how beautiful it is. There is plenty to do but it also seems secluded. I have stayed in the Forest Beach area and loved it.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

You might look into Kiawah Island, just outside of Charleston, SC. Very green, quite, beautiful beach, no crowds, no high rises.

You can look into the Kiawah Island Resort, or look at www.vrbo.com or others that rent direct from owners.

PM me if you'd like more information.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

I would strongly suggest that you check out Seagrove Beach, Florida. Yes, its in the panhandle, between Destin and Panama City, but it might as well be hundreds of miles away. The water is absolutely beautiful and the sands are sugar white. It is a very laid back place, and perfect for hanging out, cooking seafood in your condo, etc. You can get condos directly, and I mean DIRECTLY, on the beach for less than any other beach destination I have been to. With a five month old, you might check out the condos near Eastern Lake, which is a dune lake that abuts the beach. Small kids love it as the water is shallow and calm. Just a suggestion. I saw your post because we are going to priceline a trip to HHI in September.

Go to SOWAL.com to learn more. (South Walton COunty, FL). We usually rent through ResortQuest .com. THey provide you with free beach chairs and umbrellas, set up for you on the beach each morning. A nice touch.

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
361 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

The gulf coast of Florida is going to have much calmer water. It is also a lot more clear. You can see your feet even when you've in water up to your neck. We normally rent in Santa Rosa Beach Fl. It is near enough to Destin to have things to do if we want to but far enough away to be much less crowded. The beaches are smooth, white sand and are not crowded. We have rented from VRBO.com for years.

We have a 10 year old son and he wants to see the waves; hence we are headed to HHI this year. I haven't been to HHI in 15 years and am dreading the crowds. Oh, the things we do for our children:)

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

HHI would be perfect. It is a more of a golf destination than a beach destination. Don't get me wrong, people go to the beach there, but most people who want a beach vacation in SC go to Myrtle Beach area (IMO). HHI is very laid back and has the perfect beaches and surf to introduce your little one to the joys of the ocean. The surf is usually very calm (that's one of the reasons we do not like the beaches there). There are definately no high rises, everything is built to blend into the beautiful landscape. It is a very lovely area.

new york
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

HHI is a perfect beach destination. We have been going for 18 years and would go to MB if it was free! You will love HHI. It won't be crowded at all- give it a chance and let us know!

new york
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is HH the destination for me?

I meant we WOULDN'T go to MB if it was free! Tacky and touristy!

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head