We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental advice - disabled traveler

TN
7 posts
Save Topic
rental advice - disabled traveler

I am looking for a HHI beachfront rental for a week in April or March (dates are flexible). A member of our party is disabled so we are limited to properties that are either ground level or have elevators. It does not need to be ADA compliant - just no long flights of stairs. An excellent unobstructed view of the ocean from the living space is the most important selection criteria. Our disabled traveler enjoys watching the dolphins, birds, etc from inside the condo. We'd prefer 2-3 BR, but can live with a 1 BR with a sleeper sofa if it has an outstanding view.

We are currently considering 2BR villas in the Captain's Walk complex - I believe they are on the third or fourth floor. Would this be a good choice? What other possibilities should we consider? We have never visited HHI so advice from a Hilton Head Island resident or frequent visitor would be much appreciated.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

Can't help you with Hilton Head, but your situation struck a chord with me.

If you are ever traveling to Kiawah Island, consider renting a condo in the "Shipwatch" villa complex. After my mother had broken her femur, my parents rented a corner unit on the fourth floor. The ocean views were amazing, even from the sofa in the living room, where my mom spent most of her time. The building has a ramp (gradual incline) to the elevator.

TN
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

Kiawahvilla

Thank you for your reply. We are currently planning a two week trip - one week in IOP, Charleston, one at HHI. I am going to post a similar question on their forum.

How far is Kiawah from Charleston?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

Kiawah is south of Charleston; IOP is on the north side. The island is a 40 minute drive on scenic country roads from the historic district. (We frequently drive in and out of Charleston for lunch, dinner, shopping, etc.) IOP is 20 minutes from downtown.

Kiawah is very convenient for visiting sights west of the Ashley (i.e. the Ashley River plantations, and tea plantation and winery on Wadmalaw Island.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

erhfeg:

I recommend Shorewood or better yet Ocean One. Both of these facilities have first floor walk-out condos. We stayed in them when my Grandfather used to travel with us. He could sit on the patio and see the ocean/pool and enjoy life.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

I like Kiawahvilla noticed your posts and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth...

I can also recommend Kiawah "Shipwatch", stayed there several times in the past when we would go to the beach at Christmas and take my parents out with us.

My dad didn't get around very well, we rented him a wheelchair (it was delivered to the villa) and he managed since there is an elevator at the building. We also got one of the corner units w/a fantastic view of the entire 10 mile long beach. Father was totally happy to spend time on the balcony or sitting in a chair in the living room where he could see out while we went out biking, etc.

We are property owners now, ours is one of the lower styled houses, one row back from the beach and we have six steps.

Kiawah is beautiful and peaceful, but there is plenty to do for those who are more active (biking, fishing, kayaking, etc.).

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

I own an apartment at Captains Walk. We have Ramps in each building and elevators. It would be fine for you. The units have the best ocean views on the island. each and every unit has a full oceanview from both the master bedroom and the living room.

As a member of the POA board, we have just started work to rebuild the ramps, so it will be easy for someone in a wheel chair to navigate.

Stan (hhiguy)

TN
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

Stan:

Thank you for your reply. The information is very helpful. It appears from the google satellite images that there are three buildings - one overlooks the pool - the other two do not. (Let me know if I have that wrong.) Do you know if there is a complex map posted online somewhere? I think we would prefer a unit in one of the buildings that is not overlooking the pool. Sometimes this is obvious from the photos, but sometimes not. Floorplans would also be nice.

We have a handicapped sticker, but how far is the parking from the building? (Our disabled traveler can walk - though not long distances so we may need to bring a wheelchair if it is a hike.)

We've been looking at units on islandgetaway.com and vrbo.com. I'm sure there are many others. Do you have any recommendations as to the rental company?

One last question - we plan to come in March or April - does anyone know when the azaleas bloom in SC?

Thanks so much for your help. We appreciate your time in answering our questions.

Kiawah folks:

Thank you for the suggestions. Kiawah sounds great so we'll keep it in mind for the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

I live in Barrington Arms, just down the road. That entire area of Palmetto Dunes is very nice.

Also wanted to add: When your looking at different properties, keep in mind many owners list their properties on both the VRBO sites and with rental agencies as well.In many cases when you go through the VRBO owners you will find a better discount. The rental company still manages the property. The owner lets the Rental company know the agreed price.

Enjoy your trip.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

erhfeg -

Peak blooming season in the Charleston area is mid-March through mid-April. At that time, you can enjoy the House and Garden Tours offered by the Historic Charleston Foundation - historiccharleston.org/news_events/festival.…

The Hilton Head/Beaufort/Savannah area may start blooming a bit ahead of Charleston; however, I suspect that we are all pretty much on the same schedule. You are coming to the lowcountry at a beautiful time of year.

hhi
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rental advice - disabled traveler

As you are planning your trip I thought it might be helpful for you to know that there is now a company on Hilton Head that exclusively rents beach wheelchairs..wheelchairs designed specifically to go on the beach.

My husband and I are both physical therapists and last summer we started a business renting beach specific wheelchairs. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy Hilton Head's spectacular beaches as much as we do. I am in no way trying to solicit your business but rather just wanted you to be aware that such a service does now exist. Best wishes for an enjoyable vacation!

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations