We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand? HHI first timer confused

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sand? HHI first timer confused

Headed to HHI for first time next weekend. Have 3 kids and they of course love to play in the sand and water and all that. As much as we possibly can we try to visit beaches at least twice or more a year from carolinas to florida to alabama california, mexico and so on, but based on my research I'm not sure we have been anywhere with beaches such as HHI. I keep getting mixed reviews about the packed, grey sand. I'm not looking forward to riding my bike or running or anything too physical, I do enough of that everyday. Just looking to relax for 3 days sitting in a lounge while the kids play. Not trying to sound silly but is that not HHI beaches?

I'm well aware of the vast differences but I've only been to Myrtle Beach once and unfortunately had business so had to suddenly leave but purely sand wise, I remember the sand being quite comfy and almost difficult to walk thru it was so "un"packed. Is it that much different at HHI? Thanks for all your time and I look forward to all your expertises'.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

josh: There is soft and hard-packed sand on the beach. First you will walk through the dunes on a boardwalk, do not play or walk in the dunes or pick sea oats. Then you come to the softer sand, then down closer to the water you hit the hard packed sand. The hard packed sand is very, very wide.

Here's a link to the beaches and what they offer:

www.hiltonheadislandbeach.com/beach-about.asp

You never said what part of the island you are staying on, that would be helpful.

D in Muskoka.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

Gotcha, thanks for the quick reply. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza and looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

We have just finished a one week stay on Hilton Head at the Barony Beach Club and saw dozens and dozens of kids playing in the sand. Being in our fifties, we didn't play in the sand! :) It is hard packed when it is low tide, for walking and bike riding, but the sand above that is nice for sitting on and playing in. It is great for kids for building sand castles, etc. I thought it was great...lots of different types of sand. Of course, I was just on the beach near Port Royal.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

Thanks KK. We have been to so many different beaches and I can't ever remember hearing reviews or experiencing anything like what I was reading about the so called packed sand. I'm sure we will have a great time, just trying to anticipate what we are going to experience.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

In 20+ years I've never heard anyone complain about the sand, so go enjoy and you'll be fine. Kids love it. They can build sand sculptures if they want, loads do.

One thing to be aware of is the roughly 7 foot tidal change at Hilton Head. If you come out at low tide and put your stuff very close to the beach and are out there for a while, the water will creep up to you and overtake your stuff as the tide rises, so keep an eye out for that. The difference between high tide and low tide can be 50 yards or so, but don't worry, HHI beaches are some of the widest I have ever seen, so you have plenty of room.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

While my hubby and I prefer the packed sand (we go to HHI to walk/bike on the beach), we have seen plenty of sandcastles on our walks/rides -- in the soft and even more packed sand. While I've never played in the sand myself, I would be surprised if even the more packed sand is unscoopable; it's not concrete. ;-) But to set your mind at easy, I've seen plenty of kids playing in the sand.

7. Re: Sand? HHI first timer confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:24
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head