We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

huntington villas

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lynch@charter.net
2 posts
Save Topic
huntington villas

has anyone stayed there? How far from beach and would it be good for family with young adults?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: huntington villas

lovetravel: Here's a map of Palmetto Dunes. You will note that Huntington Villas are located at the bottom of the map on the left side. We have never stayed there but have stayed at the Hilton Oceanfront Resort which is very, very closeby. Palmetto Dunes is a gorgeous planation and the beach is beautiful. You might like to try and "google earth" Huntington Villas and see how close the beach is. I think if it's not beachfront, it's just across one road which is a dead-end road up that end, if I remember from biking there.

www.bentruprealestate.com/images/pdmapbw.gif

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka.

Midwest
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: huntington villas

We stayed there last summer. The Huntington complex is at the end of the road in the Leamington section of Palmetto Dunes. Quiet location. There is a beach path directly across the street that runs between Wendover and Barrington - it's about a five minute walk to the beach. There is a shower to help get the sand off on the return, but the drain is often covered in sand which defeats the purpose somewhat (the shower was never cleaned off the entire week we were there last June).

The pool at Huntington is in the middle of the complex. It's average size for that size of complex. The other side of Huntington faces the PD lagoon.

We are going back to PD again this summer, but we are staying at Windsor. We wanted to be closer to the beach plus liked their pools better and the covered parking.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: huntington villas

Huntington Villas are among the most roomy on the island also,

Stan (hhiguy)

new york
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: huntington villas

If your young adults are old enough to drive a rental car, then Huntington will be fine for them. If they need to walk or bike you might be best served staying elsewhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: huntington villas

Hmmm. Interesting comment.I can’t quite agree with you there on that one.

The Leamington area of Palmetto Dunes is not quite the end of the world. I’m sure you’ll find many people very happy that have stayed in a Hampton, Abbington, Windsor, Barrington, and Wendover Dunes villa. They are all located in the same vicinity as the Huntington’s. It’s a beautiful part of Palmetto Dunes.

You’ll find the beach is absolutely great and you have space to spread out. It’s really a very pretty part of Hilton Head. Maybe that’s why it’s so popular. The street is quiet, nice bike trails and very serene. I’ve seen many families enjoying taking walks, riding bikes or having fun on the beach in that area.It’s kind of nice having time to be able to relax and enjoy the outdoors away from the crowds and shopping areas for a little while during the day too.

I’m sure Islebeback can fill you in on the Huntington’s. He has a beautiful place on the lagoon which many families enjoy. You’ll find the Huntington’s also having the added benefit of two large porches. One screened and one unscreened. Those looking for a place to grill right at their back door will find it here as well. Each unit usually has there own. Many of the Huntington’s are larger than the villas as HHIGUY mentioned and have a very townhome feel to them. Very pretty view looking out over the lagoon.

Hilton Head has something to offer for everyone – no matter where you stay. That’s what's so great!

new york
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: huntington villas

I can only offer my opinion as a parent with young adults who can't drive a rental car. They enjoy walking to shops/ice cream and having independence. While PD is the most beautiful plantation on the island(again- my opinion), and I have stayed there several times- I just think there might be more "activity" elsewhere. Huntington is gorgeous and you will be happy there - just offering an opinion....

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: huntington villas

I own a Huntington villa so am very familiar with them. To first answer the questions originally asked: They're all considered third row villas and most are a 5 minute walk to the beach along one of several paved beach paths. As far as young adults, we have an 18 year old and 21 year old who have stayed there for years and loved it. Tennis, cycling, golf (for my son), kayaking, and restaurants are all available within walking or cycling distance.

Let's see, just for places to eat close by, you have the new Palmetto Market grab & go at the Hilton, offering deli style sandwiches, salads, pastries, desserts, and other goodies. You've got the recently renovated Dunes House palmettodunes.com/beach-wedding-venues.php for beachfront goodies. And you've got the Palmetto Dunes convenience store (great hot breakfast and lunch) as possibilities within walking or cycling distance for young adults. And then all of the Shelter Cove restaurants and shops around the marina reachable by bicycle or free PD Shuttle.

The Huntingtons are packed with families with kids of all ages who have a great time. Oh yeah, I hadn't mentioned fishing off one of the many docks scattered around the 11 mile lagoon that flows by the Huntingtons. It's usually a kid or and adult/kid doing that.

Many of the other nice attributes have already been mentioned. Our 3 BR (two master BR suites) is roughly 1,700 sq. ft. and is basically a townhouse, so there's room to get away if you want to. They all come with either screened porch/Carolina room and decks in the back. All of this adds up to the villa feeling like a home. They're also very popular for "Snow Birds" vacationing during the winter because of this - ours has been booked by the same couple the last 4 years running.

Bottom line, if you want to be close enough to the beach for it to be a convenient stroll, would like the 11 mile lagoon in your backyard, and need the space for a rate a bit less than oceanfront they are ideal. Hope that helps, any other questions, ask away!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: huntington villas

IsleBeBack - How far is the Dunes House from the beach at Villamare? If we walked about how far?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: huntington villas

Looks to be about 3/4 of a mile by beach. Here's an aerial view map:

http://tinyurl.com/duneshouse

Find Dunes House Ln. near the top, Villamare near the bottom, and note the scale (300 yds.)

I haven't walked it, but hope that helps!

Scott

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: huntington villas

Thanks Scott!

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head