We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Home for Sale?!

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Rental Home for Sale?!

I think the home we rented for next week is for sale. Is this an issue? Will we be expected to be ready for showings? Ekk!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

It's not unusual that the home you're renting is for sale. With hundreds of homes and villas on the island for sale right now, it happens more than folks know*.

If the house were sold, the buyer must honor all rentals for 90 days from that point, I think, at a minimum. (I've researched this legislature since I'm a villa rental owner - can you guess what connection business-wise the senator who pushed this law through had: property manager or owner?)

Anyway, from a practical standpoint, you shouldn't have any worries. If I were you I would tell the property manager when you check in you know the property is for sale and you do not want anyone in the villa/house for as long as you're staying there. They will honor that, and many have this as a policy anyway.

* If you don't notice hardly any for sale signs on the island, realize they're usually not allowed by gated plantations, which is the bulk of the island units. Note, then, that you can find for sale signs in Forest Beach for example, which is not a gated plantation area.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

Happy(but concerned)Mom: We rented a private home two March Breaks ago we found out that it was For Sale. Quite by accident. We noticed it advertised in a Real Estate paper and said, "Isn't that the place WE'RE in?" We never had a single call or visit. Maybe that was bad news for the vendor or maybe it was by design.

Anyway, I agree. I would let it be known that you have become aware of it being for sale and that you expect to have complete privacy and exclusive use of the property that you have paid for. Whether that works remains to be seen I guess. We're pulling for you!

D in Muskoka.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

Before I bought my villa and I was looking around, the only time we could looking inside the villa was when there was nobody renting. Or, if it was rented back to back, we had to go in between the renters. Only once did we go in when the renter was there and it was only because it was a long term renter. So, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just confirm with the owner that you will not be disturbed during your stay. :) Claudia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

I have to agree with the above comments.

Last year when looking for our property in Hilton Head, there were several villas we happened to be interested in seeing but were not able to due to the fact guests were staying at that particular time.

We made another trip back when things were less busy and we were able to get a chance to see the properties we had missed.

You should not have any problems. It was made very clear to us we were not able to view occupied homes or villas with guests staying.

Laura

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

Thanks all! I assumed there were safeguards, and I assumed they don't advertise in the plantations. I found it quite by accident. I believe it has been on the market for quite some time, so I am not worried!

Boston
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

We also found out the villa we rented this year was for sale, when we arrived there was a lock box on the door which was clue #1 and we found listing sheets on the property in the villa with the information the owners left on the unit. We were never bothered during our week and in fact have rented the same unit for next year. Since you dont see many for sale signs on Hilton Head you don't realize how much property is for sale until you either find it in an ad or stumble across the listing somehowm.

7. Re: Rental Home for Sale?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 05:37