We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
375 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

Having never vacationed in South Carolina (minus one trip to Myrtle), we are looking for information to stay during Thanksgiving for extended families in one home. There are 8 adults and multiple kids beginning at newborn to 6 years. The husbands love golf. The women love to shop and walk and play with the kids, including the beach. Right now, everything from Kiawah south to Hilton Head is an option and every beach in between.

Ideas? Helpful information? Please! and Thank you!

Amy

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

We have stayed two times at Thanksgiving in Hilton Head. There are many things to do even though it's off season and the weather was in the low 70s and the kids had fun at the pool (both outdoor and indoor at Villamare). We did a Santa Cruise in Savannah on the river which they liked. The one year there was a caramel apple festival w/hayrides, pony rides, face painting in Sea Pines. And of course my hubby played golf and my 2 little girls and I shopped! South Beach Marina has Santa there Friday and Saturday every weekend starting Thanksgiving weekend and it's decorated with a ton of lights.

So I would recommend Hilton Head at Thanksgiving. It's not the most hopping place but so relaxing and a good place to spend quality time with the family.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

Definitely HHI. I've been there over the Holidays and it's great. If you have a large group you may even consider and oceanfront home rental. There is a lot to do there and we've always enjoyed spending our Summer vacation in HHI. Stay on this forum because you will get many great ideas and suggestions.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
375 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

Thank you. From what you and a few friends have said we're going to go to Hilton Head. The other islands look great (Kiawah, for instance), but I think as a first-go-round there would be more options for us non-golfers and kids at Hilton Head. Now it's just a matter of learning about HHI. Thanks!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

HHI is a good choice. I went there with friends 6 yrs ago, I really didn't know about this forum or anything about the island. Now we have things we do together every year. Other than the pool and the beach we do miniature golf, go to Harbourtown, South Beach, ride a horse a Lawton Stables and eat ice cream at Cold Stone. We used to rent a condo but now we rent a private home with a pool in Sea Pines. It's just a really great, fun time for everyone. We have an absolute blast. Be sure to stayed on here so you can get some really great ideas/advice from people who really know the island inside and out.

5. Re: 8 adults, kids ages 1-6, which island do we choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:17