We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from this one!

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from this one!

Well, we arrived in HHI today, strolled around the Outlet Mall to kill some time and went to our unit in the Greens in Shipyard at 4.

First impression of it? Dirty. No, that's being kind Filthy, actually. Dead bugs everywhere, dirt everywhere, just absolutely filthy. Trash piled high in the trash can outside. Kitchen nighmarish. No sign of a gas grill that was listed as being with the villa. Of course, we called the rental agent (which had been discussed as a "reputable" agency right in this same forum not too long ago) and they said they would look into the grill issue. An hour later, some guy comes by to say we'll have one on Monday. Super, since I planned on grilling tomorrow. No response to dirt and neglect.

So, I decided to wash as many of the dishes/glases/flatware as I could in the dishwasher while we went to dinner. Came home, went to put stuff away and...an enormous live ROACH went scampering thru the cabinet as I opened the door. My husband and son took care of that while I shoved every box, bag, you-name-it piece of food I brought with us into the fridge.

I then decided to check the beds. All beds had small spiders in them. EVERY SINGLE ONE. So I got to spend the rest of my first evening of vacation stripping beds and washing the bed linens.

The TVs are all ancient and don't even have the basic connections that most tvs have today to hook up a video game system. One TV upstairs doesn't even have a cable connection. The remote to the TV in the master isn't the right one and only will show 3 channels when you use the channel up button. To see any other channel, you have to manually enter the numbers. Two out of three light bulbs are burned out in one upstairs bathroom, the hall/stairs light is burned out (which is pretty dangerous, actually).The faucet handle in the master bath is missing the cover. There isn't an alarm clock in the master bedroom (?!). The list goes on.

I've stayed in many other rentals in different places and this is the worst I've experienced, by far. I understand rentals show wear and tear and cleaning services don't clean like I would at home, but seriously. Everything is dirty, outdated, beat up and low rate.

The best part is that my husband lost his job at the beginning of July and we seriously concerned cancelling through the vacation insurance but figured the place was paid for and trying to get the money back would be a bigger hassle than it would be worth. I wish we had now. I've done nothing but apologize to my family and cry. We brought my daughter's boyfriend and I'm so embarrassed that this place is such a horrific dump.

We'll call the agency Monday but I know they won't do what I'd like, which is reund the remainder of our money. If you want the number of this unt and the agency name, private message me. I'd really hate for anyone else to have their long-awaited - and expensive- vacation ruined by such a miserable place to stay.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from this one!

Please check you private e-mail. I would call your agency's emergency number first thing tomorrow with your concerns. In no way should you have to deal with this till Monday!

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from this one!

We'll do that tomorrow (if I can find an emergency number!). Thanks for responding; I sent a response to you.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away from this one!

You paid for a clean place. The company either needs to fix it or move you.

Please don't blame yourself for someone else's wrongdoing . There's no reason for your vacation to be ruined.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay away from this one!

WOW... I don't know what to say!!! I own a villa in The Greens and believe me - my villa has been updated and everyone loves it. While looking for houses, 2 years ago, I was amazed at some of the villas that were SO outdated and they were being rented. NOT just The Greens - many other plantations. Amazing. Did they show you a picture before you rented? I am so sorry that my place is not available. I would have moved you over, free of charge. :(

I would definitely get in touch with the agency and DEMAND to be moved. And I would do it today! They have to have other places, if it is an agency.

I used to have an agency handle my property and I was NOT pleased with them. Housekeeping was not good, they didn't do what I expected them to do (the agency). So, I now handle everything myself. I am much happier and my renters are happy - which makes me happy!

DEMAND the agency to change you, ASAP - plus give you some sort of a refund. You had to do A LOT of work. You must have been awake all night. :(

I feel so bad for you. :( Claudia

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away from this one!

Oh Bree- I am so so sorry you have to deal with this. as the other poster has said- call immediately and insist on having them move you.. My parents had this experience when they rented a place once at the Breakers. The unit was disgusting. They immediately called the rental agent and were moved to a suitable unit within the building.

Also- if things do not go as they should- you should feel free to print their names on this forum for all to see. We all let people know when things work out well and give free publicity- the same should be said for the negative.

Hopefully the weather is holding up. Don't waste another tear- but I certainly can sympathize with you. It will get better.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away from this one!

Thanks, everyone, for the support. Yes, I did see photos (this is a big agency with a lot of properties}. It wasn't our first choice, but it looked decent, honestly. Of course, you can't see dirt and neglect in photos.

We called the agency's after-hours number last night and raised holy heck. Someone called back and offered to clean the place but I said forget it. It needs more than a couple hours of cleaning. Saw four new, live bugs of various kinds this morning alone. So they said they could move us (there is an available unit in Evian) but we're still waiting to hear back. Great way to spend a vacation. We've yet to even lay eyes on the beach.

Claudia, thanks for the offer. I do appreciate it.If I ever decide to come back here again, I'll be in touch. :)

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay away from this one!

And, FYI the unit is 124 The Greens. It's also up for sale at a ridiculously inflated price. I see it's rented for the week after us; wish I could contact those poor people and warn them!

And if we don't hear from the agency soon, their name is going up on this forum.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay away from this one!

I think you should post in anyway.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay away from this one!

I would post it regardless! People need to be aware! i am sure this isn't the first unit they manage that this has happened with.

Make sure you get a refund in addition to a move and tell them you will be calling the BBB and Chamber of commerce if thengs are not done to your liking.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay away from this one!

also- i googled the unit and saw the rental agency. I have to say there a few negative comments about that company posted on this forum. Not many but one specifically states the unit was filthy and old- had roaches. It seems like it is a pattern with this management company. I would think Stan might know more as he is a local. Now that I know the company- I will stay away. Don't blame yourself. The pictures of the unit were beautiful and I would have chosen it also.

Keep us posted- but first take a nice walk on the beach with a cup of coffee- or a mimosa!! Try and enjoy yourself!