We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

I see on a map that it is in Palmetto Dunes, but I have never seen it. What is it a part of or is it a stand alone place? any good?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

We've had lunch there several times and found it to be just a great place to kick back and relax. The food is very tasty and there are quite a few items on the menu. They also have a full service bar. Palmetto Dunes House is in a perfect location right off the beach. Your close enough to keep an eye on your things from the deck without having to pack everything up to go have lunch.

We've walked along the beach just to go down and have a snack or something to drink.

If you would like to drive down there is parking available along with bike racks too. You'll find washroom and changing facilities. It is a building by itself.

Here is the link:

palmettodunes.com/beach-wedding-venues.php

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

thanks, interesting. when was it established? was down in 2007 for my last visit and i just do not recall it. did it used to just be a changing station?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

It’s used for many different types of events weddings, parties, meetings etc. At one time there was a small snack bar walk up window. I believe last year was the first year they actually opened for lunch and did quite well.

We had the pleasure of enjoying a bite to eat on each of trips down 2009 -April, May, Sept and Oct. When they first opened things ran somewhat slow. In past conversations with the wait staff, they were somewhat overwhelmed in the beginning not knowing what to expect as far as traffic went. Returning in Sept., we found everything running pretty smoothly.

Some of the locals can probably fill you in a little more than I can. I would definitely give it a try if you’re looking for just something simple and right on the beach. I know we’re looking forward to returning again.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

When The Palmetto Dunes Home Owners Association took over administrating the resort, the previous owner Greenwood development maintained the commercial parts.

One of these was the Dunes House, which was the beach access for PD owners. It had been a community center and access. looking to make it a revenue source, Greenwood converted dunes House into a eating venue. It opened last year and is sucessful.

Stan (hhiguy)

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

thanks, now i know exactly where it is at. used to access the beach from that location. looking forward to hanging out there in april. decent wine? (sorry, i am a wineaholic - looking forward to going back to 911 park bistro or some number like that on pope). time for a new thread, bo

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

In addition to LAJ22's excellent information, make sure you check out their calendar:

palmettodunes.com/hilton-head-entertainment.…

...before walking over there. They close the place for private events every once in a while.

If you would like to see a "quick and dirty" video I took walking up to it last summer, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79u3FvDybAQ

They were just opening for the day.

Scott

Edited: 10 February 2010, 19:45
7. Re: The Dunes House Rest - any knowledge of it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head