We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Nova Scotia
11 posts
Save Topic
driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Hello

I will be driving from Bangor to Hilton Head and would like to avoid the big cities/traffic. Would route 95 to 90 to 84 to 81 and then on to either Richmond or Charlotte be a good route ?

thanks

Barry

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Your most direct route is straight down 95. 81 and 77 through Charlotte is out of your way.

Nova Scotia
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

thanks for the fast reply.

Boston
Level Contributor
825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

We have driven from Boston to Hilton Head, did not get on 95 until New Jersey from the Garden State Parkway, you want to avoid New York City, it is almost as bad as DC. You may want to explore alternate routes avoiding NYC, we crossed the Tappen Zee Bridge to get into New York from Ct. I would also avoid Boston and Rt 95/128 by getting on Rt 495 which is the second exit once you get into MA on 95 this will take you to the Mass Pike, I-90 where you get on Rt 84 to take you to Ct, to 287 to the Tappen Zee Bridge, we had our trip mapped out by AAA with a Trip Pak. We also have friends who frequently drive to NJ and they go this same way just to avoid NYC, we also follow this route drivng to PA. If yo do not have EZ Pass transponder for tolls, I would suggest you get one, it makes the trip much easier as you pay tolls until MD, and you can use the fast pass lanes

Hope this helps

Nova Scotia
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. Seems similiar to the route I am looking at.

Vermont
Level Contributor
24 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

We drive to Hilton Head every April and do go 81 to 77. It's much less stressful, traffic wise and a beautiful route. We vacation with a large group and have found our route takes no more time than them going 95. There have been years when it took hours less due to traffic jams even in the middle of the night on 95!

Nova Scotia
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Boston
Level Contributor
825 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Your welcome, once you get on 95 in NJ you stay on 95 all the way until you reach 278 which is the route that takes you to Hilton Head from 95. Also, our daughter goes to school outside of Myrtle Beach which is about 3 hrs north of Hilton Head this is the same route she uses to drive to school

Save Reply
8. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

We have driven to Kiawah island from New Jersey many times and we now prefer taking 81 and 77, avoiding 95 and the DC/Virginia traffic. Routes 81 and 77 are much more scenic, an easier drive, and have less traffic.

Nova Scotia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

thank you for your advice. We will probably do the 77 route as opposed to crossing over to Richmond, So its 84 to 81 to 77 to Hilton Head.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from Bangor to Hilton Head

Driving on 81 and then 77 to Hilton Hear from anywhere north of NJ is nothing but a waste of gas and time. 81 is a highway that merges from 78 in western PA near Harrisburg and Hershey. That is way too far west to go to avoid any sort of traffic. You can drive down on 95 to Baltimore and then take 301 south over to join back on 95 by Fredricksburg to avoid DC. Goin on 81 and 77 brings you to Northwest SC. so in essence you are making a large detour to avoid traffic. That detour takes you at least 2-3 hours out of any direct route to HHI. That is not necessary. The road may be scenic but you are wasting time and gas on such a route.

Also to avoid NYC you can take the Tappan Zee to 287 south all the way to the NJ Turnpike near exit 9 on 287 South I believe and merge into NJT via Route 18 which is a 7 minute drive at the most..

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head