We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time HH this wkend...

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
first time HH this wkend...

my fiance and i are going HHI this Fri- Sun and would love any recommendations. he is 33 and i'm 23 and we enjoy cocktails, good food, relaxing, beach time...

i know we are going to the old oyster house and thinking about doing a dolphin tour (cheesy? :)) any other recommendations? thanks so much!

Vagabond Cruise
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Enjoy Daufuskie
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Hilton Head Heli Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Helicopter Tours
Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
743 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Try the sunset cruise on the Schooner Welcome. Dolphin sightings on Broad Creek and out on the Calibogue Sound are almost guaranteed. The sunsets, yachts, waterfront mansions and views of Harbourtown and the full sail of the Welcome are not the least bit cheesey.

http://www.schoonerwelcome.com

Have fun!

- Jeff

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Go have drinks and food at Boat House, Frankie Bones for dinner. Have a great time. The weather promises to be great.

Mentioned in this post
Frankie Bones Restaurant and Lounge
Frankie Bones Restaurant...
2,467 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time HH this wkend...

I agree with the Schooner Welcome tour, especially a sunset one. If you're into something a little faster, try the dolphin excursion on the Commander Zodiac out of South Beach Marina (salty dog fame). It only takes a max of 6 people and you zip along in a red zodiac and they take you to where the dolphins are, not a preset course.

You may also like the Santa Fe Cafe on their cozy rooftop Cantina with music and fire.

http://www.santafecafeofhiltonhead.com/

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka.

Mentioned in this post
Commander Zodiac
Commander Zodiac
207 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Santa Fe Cafe
Santa Fe Cafe
850 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time HH this wkend...

thanks for the great recommendations, everyone! i was wondering if there was any way to get a "deal" on the sunset cruises through the schooner welcome. im sure they are more than worth the price and we will go either way, just wanted to check :) ps- the santa fe place looks so fun!

Boston
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Schooner Welcome is one of our favorite things to do in HHI, I have never seen a "deal" on Schooner Welcome. After reading their website this year I noticed that the sunset cruise price now include hors'dourveres and beer and wine, in the past their was an additional cost for beer and wine and snacks. After the cruise you may want to stop at San Miguiels in Shelter Cove if you like Mexican, they have outdoor entertainment every evening. We also enjoy Scotts Fish Market outside bar in the evening which is also in Shelter Cove, both of which are close to Schooner Welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Scott's Fish Market Restaurant
Scott's Fish Market...
238 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Also this weekend, the Seafoood Festival is at Shelter Cove Community Park and the Art Market is at the Honey Horn.

Mentioned in this post
Shelter Cove Community Park
Shelter Cove Community...
97 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
rhode island
Level Contributor
19 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time HH this wkend...

We loved the beach, walking and bike riding...

Had an exceptional meal at a place called Alligators. It is in a plaza near the northern entrance to the Sea Pines area. They had wonderful seafood dishes, and plenty of non-seafood choices, creative and delicious options, and beautifully presented! A great change from the typical fried, or bland seafoods. Our waiter was very friendly and the decor is very chic!

Mentioned in this post
Sea Pines Resort
Sea Pines Resort
296 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Regarding the Schooner Welcome tour: I see on their website this recommendation: "Passengers must bring their own sun protection (sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, etc.) and asked to dress appropriately for the weather and being aboard a sailboat."

My hubby and I will be arriving on HHI a week from tomorrow and are very interested in taking a Schooner Welcome tour (probably the sunset tour). My question would be what constitutes dressing appropriately for being aboard a sailboat? We've never done anything like this before and frankly don't know what would be considered appropriate dress. Any help? It'd be appreciated!

Boston
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time HH this wkend...

SWIllinoisBeachLover- We have been on Schooner Welcome several times, here is what I would suggest - depending on the weather either shorts, capris or long pants and layers for the top, i.e. sweatshirt or jacket. I would also suggest either sneakers or boat shoes and not flip flops, sandals or shoes with heels. You sit on cushions on the deck of the boat or bench like seating in the stern. The sail is a casual type atmosphere and there can be a breeze and certain types of clothing can blow in the breeze. Also remember that the dolphins crusing along side the boat tend to show off and have been known to splash..

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time HH this wkend...

Thanks, HHBoson! That's what I thought ... but I didn't know if that might not be a little too casual.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head