We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowne Plaza or Hilton

cold in ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Crowne Plaza or Hilton

I thought I had solved my hotel ?s by booking the Crowne Plaza for the weekend after son's Marines graduation but now see the same good rate for the Hilton which seems to get better reviews on Tripadvisor. For a family with older kids - 24, 24, 17 for a weekend stay - which hotel would be better? (we are getting 2 rooms).

Advantage of CP is the cancellation policy allows us a 72 hour window versus the Hilton is 7 days and we do run the risk of Marine son getting hurt near end of training which could push his graduation back.

Thanks again for any advice and I apologize for being so indecisive!

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowne Plaza or Hilton

We've stayed at both (having just checked out of the Crowne Plaza yesterday morning).

The rooms are larger at the Hilton, and they have a kitchenette, which would be nice for a family if you were hoping to eat in. The rooms at the Crowne Plaza, while not as large as the rooms at the Hilton, were certainly ample enough to accommodate my husband and me (a king-sized bed, a full-sized couch, a desk, an entertainment area - with plenty of spare room to move around); the balcony was smaller at the Crowne Plaza, but since we spent our time on the beach, we don't spend much, if any, time on the balcony. Noise was a problem for us each time that we've stayed at the Hilton (routine noises, such as other guests opening their sliders, using the bathrooms, etc.). We also noticed areas where the bathrooms at the Hilton were obviously in need of a little repair (tiles, etc.); the decor in the common interior areas at the Crowne Plaza is beginning to show its age and some normal wear, but we found our room to be in good condition. Both hotels are clean with beautiful grounds. The Crowne Plaza is a little further back from the beach than the Hilton, but the difference is small enough to be a non-issue as neither is right ON the beach.

I don't know how much help I've been, other than to say that for me personally, the hotels are comparable enough that if the rates are the same, I'd go with the hotel that gives a more favorable cancellation policy.

Good luck ... and don't fret about wanting to make the right decision for your family!

Edited: 08 May 2010, 16:59
Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowne Plaza or Hilton

i like the general area of the Hilton better, there are a few more options and it just has a nicer "feel." the Dunes House is a new casual restaurant right on the water in Palmetto Dunes. Palmetto Dunes just feels more upscale to me and for the same price i would take the Hilton. cancellation - in this day and age with the general overwhelming support of our troops i really think the hilton would not enforce that policy if your son sustains an injury. call and ask the manager. you might even explain your situation and get a reduced rate (military rate is sometimes offered).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowne Plaza or Hilton

OTS: Maybe it's me, but I'm just not getting the cancellation policy. You said, "Advantage of CP is the cancellation policy allows us a 72 hour window versus the Hilton is 7 days." When I do the math, 72 hrs is only 3 days for the CP versus 7 days for the Hilton. Doesn't that make the Hilton a better choice as far as cancellations go? I'm also assuming this great rate for the Hilton is through their own website and not Hotwire, which has a strict cancellation policy. You can buy cancellation insurance from Hotwire, but don't know how much additional it is. I just guessed at your weekend date mid-June and punched in June 11-13 and I got the CP for $184 on Hotwire which is a ridiculous price. I don't know what you consider a "great rate" to be.

D in Muskoka.

Oh, btw, to answer your question, if it were me and you had to choose between the CP or the Hilton Oceanfront, putting aside the possibility of cancellation, I'd say Hilton Oceanfront hands-down. Nice outdoor fireplaces to sit around at night and have a drink, great beach, XO Lounge, live music, terrific rooms, the largest hotel rooms on the island and very comfy beds and quality duvets. The only noise thing (and it's never bothered us because we have travelled to the Caribbean) is the open ended corridors which also allow an ocean breeze to circulate. Check out their website and see what I mean.

cold in ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowne Plaza or Hilton

Husband is a state employee so we get state rate which is the great rate.

Can cancel CP as late as 3 days before arrival - the Hilton 7 days.

I am probably over-worrying about the whole thing as I typically don't fret these kind of risks except this past April we had a family trip involving flights and meeting in Vegas + other son coming home from UK and the whole Iceland Volcano debacle blew the trip up. Suddenly cancellation policies became important.

I am still feeling a Murphy's law effect - if something could go wrong it will!

5. Re: Crowne Plaza or Hilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head