We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient Recycling?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte
Level Contributor
644 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient Recycling?

Staying in N Forest Beach. Is there a convenient way to recycle bottles/cans without driving all the way out to the airport area? Thanks.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient Recycling?

Shocking, isn't it? We've been appalled every time on HHI that there isn't any recycling made convenient at the timeshares we've been to. I guess we take that for granted here in Ontario. We're even provided with composter bins for our kitchen here in Muskoka!

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I know those who live on the island, like Stan, will probably answer your question.

D in Muskoka.

Boston
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient Recycling?

I had asked this question last spring when we rented a condo since there was no recycling in the condo project, we have also stayed at Marriott timeshares where there onsite recycling, Stan had told me that Hilton Head does have a recycling center that you can drive to which I believe is the area you are referring too.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient Recycling?

Currently there is no recycling law in either the town or county. It is being considered. Since we have private trash collection companies, in many cases the issue is cost.

The companies who provide the service would have to make an additional stop each week and at least at this time, no one has come up with a way to add the service without a 50% increase in costs.

Stan (hhiguy)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenient Recycling?

So, I guess the answer is: just bury yourselves in bottles and cans? Such a shame, Stan. How come dinky towns like mine here in Muskoka can have a very effective way to recycle and compost? Plus, they pick it up at the end of our driveway!! I live in what's considered here in Canada "God's country" due to the lakes at every turn in the road and sweeping pine trees. No one here is ready to sit back and see it buried under bottles, cans, cardboard, glass - all items that can easily be recycled. Whatever happened to "save the earth?"

Hilton Head is just too gorgeous of a place to let garbage/recycling all come down to $$ and cents. You guys can't afford NOT to keep up with the 21st century in this area.

Just say'in.

D in Muskoka.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenient Recycling?

I certainly see the cost issue since all trash service is provided by private companies. I'd think that a lot more recycling would occur though if there was a drop-off station somewhere central to the beaches, maybe at the back of the parking lot next to Coligney Circle.

Since the Cross-Island Expressway opened, we very rarely ever drive by the airport drop-off location.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenient Recycling?

Hopefully by the year's end, all of HHI will have mandatory recycling. My villa regime started recycling in January and it is been great. The bins have tight lids on them to prevent feasting animals from rummaging at night.

When booking a vacation in a private unit, ask the owner about recycling, as many island regimes (associations) are now adopting recycling.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenient Recycling?

I can certainly understand the costs involved and envy those whose communities have made it feasible. Since we went to recycling over 10 years ago, our garbage cost have skyrocketed to $30 a month for one garbage bag a week. That's no glass, no plastic, no metal and no paper. Where recycling is a great way to go, it can be costly if not appropriately planned.

8. Re: Convenient Recycling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head