We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Topic
What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

We are making our second trip from SW Wisconsin to Hilton Head in August. Last year we flew. This year, we are driving - I have mapquested and aaa triptik'd it - both are guiding me through Asheville. I am concerned, as I have heard there are road closures that affect the highway through the area - something about a major rockslide. It only adds a few minutes to go through the Atlanta area - but I am, of course, worried about traffic. Anyone have any thoughts or tips for me??? Thanks in advance!

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

We go through Atlanta (we're in the general St. Louis area), and since we have an AFV, we go through the HOV lanes and have never encountered much traffic slow down (knock on wood). However, it appears that the rock slide has been cleaned up. http://www.ncdot.org/travel/i40_rockslide/

If you are a member of AAA, perhaps they can confirm that to your satisfaction for additional peace of mind.

Winston Salem...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

I-40 is now open.

Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

Thanks so much! I just saw that as well.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
369 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

On I-40 north the highway is down to one lane. We lost some time driving home but it was the 4th of July weekend.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

I am also driving from STL to Hilton Head and I am very concerned about the rush hour traffic in Atlanta. With the time we are leaving, we will hit Atlanta around 3-4 pm, so I am thinking I should just go through Asheville instead. Any thoughts?

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

We're in Edwardsville, IL -- just on the other side of the river. We usually hit Atlanta by 3:00-4:00-ish, IIRC. Knock on wood, we really haven't encountered much in the way of traffic problems when we go through (we've gone through Atlanta 9+ times in the last 3 years). If you are driving an AFV or have 2 or more people in your car, you can drive through the HOV lanes which we've found to be a little easier/quicker.

Going through Asheville will add about another hour to your trip; we're always too anxious to get to HHI (and have dinner at one of our favorite places) so we take the quicker route through Atlanta. We have, on occasion, gone through Asheville when going home (we make up the hour lost due to the time change).

If you don't mind getting into HHI a little later, going through Asheville should ensure that you keep rush-hour traffic issues to a minimum. ;-) That extra hour is nothing when compared to your peace of mind.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 15:52
Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
421 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

We've driven it from St Paul, MN numerous times. A great route (but we do it in two nights instead of one) is down through the Ohio River Valley and Appalachians (Columbus OH, Charleston WV, Beckley WV, etc.). This is also a good route if you want to stop off in High Point for some good furniture deals.

8. Re: What is the best route from Madison WI to Hilton Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 05:17