We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming In The May River?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming In The May River?

Okay, jumping off the jellyfish thread...since the ocean appears to be mostly off-limits this week, someone said they went to the May River to swim and hang out. Can someone post some details on this one as an alternative to the pool for a change of pace?

Thanks

clifton, va
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming In The May River?

We did that, but we rented a boat from Outside Hilton Head in Shelter Cove to get there. Palmetto Bay Watersports also does boat rentals. It was a very fun day, but pretty expensive. The boat was $195 for 2 hours, we kept it out for 4 hours. It took about 40 minutes to get there, lots of no wake zones and it was a pontoon so doesn't go very fast. We had dolphins swimming right up to our boat and sticking their heads out, rolling on their sides etc... very cool experience. We did not see any jellyfish in the water there. It's in Bluffton and we did see quite a few boat launches so maybe there are some swim areas accessible by land but I'm not sure.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Thanks for the info. The boat is probably a bit pricey for us but I'll keep exploring the possibility of driving over there.

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming In The May River?

This is an old article but the "beach" in Bluffton on the May River is called "Alljoy Beach".

blufftonbreeze.com/200604/BlufftonHistory.ht…

The couple of times I've been through there, it was difficult to find a parking space. There is a public boat landing.

Good luck!

- Jeff

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Looks interesting...especially if there aren't any jellyfish!

I couldn't find any directions to the spot, though. what do you suggest?

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Is this at the end of Wharf St?

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Actually, maybe the end of Alljoy Rd closer in? I see a small parking lot.

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Yep, end of Alljoy Road.

Take Burnt Church Rd all the way to the end and turn left. Keep going until you reach the boat landing.

It's a nice view even if you are just out for an afternoon drive in an air conditioned car.

I've never been swimming there so...Good luck!

- Jeff

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Thanks, Jeff. If we see other swimmers, we'll ask about conditions (strange sea creatures and the ever present jellies).

I'll post our experiences here so others can see if this is an option for them.

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming In The May River?

Yes, you should definitely watch out for "Devil Fish" in the May River...

blufftonbreeze.com/200804/_BlufftonEnvironme…

I should have saved this story link for Halloween!

:-D

- Jeff

clifton, va
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming In The May River?

We were hanging out at a place called Redneck Riviera, at low tide there is a big sand bar where tons of boats pull up, anchor, beach their boat, and people hang out on the sand bar. Pretty strong currents though as the tide is going out. We were there on a friday so things weren't too crazy, we met some people that said weekends are very crazy.