We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living on HH during Winter

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elverson
Level Contributor
128 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Living on HH during Winter

My husband & I, retired, are visiting HH next weekend to find a condo near the beach with these goals: rental during summer/early fall, and living in it after Christmas until Spring. Are there many activities and/or opportunities to meet others for a decent social life? We enjoy our neighbors in the North, but many go to FL in Feb/Mar. Anything to look out for and or suggestions. Thanks.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living on HH during Winter

We have lots of snow birds come here in the winter. Restaurants used to close for the season, but since Sun City opened up most are now open almost year around.

You can golf, play tennis ( the leagues play here February and March). The arts center has shows. rental prices are a fraction of the summer months.

Quite a few of the owners do exactly what you plan. Rental from May through October and owner occupancy in the winter months.

so come on down.

Stan (hhiguy)

Indiana
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Living on HH during Winter

HEY, good to see that others have the same plan as we do. Visited HH for two weeks this past July with the purpose of finding a place to stay for January thru March. We found the perfect place for us. Hubby just retired this past Friday (September 3) and I am retiring November 18. Can not wait for the time to spend on HH--has to be better than spending another frigid winter in Indiana.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living on HH during Winter

We did the very thing 8 years ago. The original plan was to winter in HHI after we retired. We rented out our condo (villa) almost full time for the first 6 years; then 2 years ago after retirement we began our wintering, but continued to rent out the remainder of the year. Well, guess what? We have now decided to move to our villa full time and sell our Rochester, NY home (actually it's on the market now). Never thought we would totally relocate, but we are.

We are in Shipyard and have found the activities for owners at the Beach Club are great. We have met so many people that our social life is quite busy while in HHI. You should have no trouble at all. I suspect living in a plantation may provide greater social activities than a non-plantation location, so you may want to consider that in your decision on where to buy. Also, some locations are better "rentals" than others.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I might be able to answer based on my experience with this.

Good luck. Happy villa hunting!!!

Elverson
Level Contributor
128 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living on HH during Winter

We thought that the HH Beach & Tennis Resort would be good because of the proximity to the beach, and opportunities for renting. The units are small, and we prefer a ground floor. What are your thoughts on this area. We have contacted the realtor and have appointment showings on Friday morning. I'd like to be prepared.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Living on HH during Winter

We recently purchased an oceanfront condo so I sent along some info which might be helpful. Check your messages.

Laura

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living on HH during Winter

HH Beach & Tennis is off Folly Field Road, as I recall. If you plan to live there for the winter, you first need to decide how much space you would need for those months. I know when we first came to HHI, we rented at Fiddler's Cove, not far from HH Beach & Tennis. While the price was right, they are only about 900 sq ft, which we thought okay for a week or two, but not for 5 or 6 months.

As I indicated previously, if you are also thinking about social activities for you when you winter, a plantation may be preferable. Villas in Palmetto Dunes, Shipyard and Sea Pines rent very well for the most part.

So many factors to consider - your comfort for the months you reside there, the availability of social activities, and the viability of rental prospects (this also must consider location, proximity to beach, amenities, etc.).

Don't know if this helps any. Good luck.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living on HH during Winter

P.S.

I get monthly listings of all villas for sale in Shipyard. Currently, there are several which range in price from the $200's to the 500's right now. Many have first floor masters, with additional bedrooms on a 2nd floor, some are one story, some are 2 stories with all bedrooms on 2nd floor., some are just 2nd floor units. Much variety. It is still a buyer's market on the island, so look around before making a final decision.

8. Re: Living on HH during Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 06:25