We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

barbados
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

Hi there - PLan is Myrtle beach for 7 nights, 2 nights in charleston and then 7 nights at hilton head. Is this going to gives us the best perspective of South Carolina... without too much driving?? Touring with well travelled active 8 year old boy...so thought thiswould gives us - fun, history and then relaxing. Anything we should not miss?? Any advise appreciated.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

You will get a view of the differences in beach areas with your planned itinerary. Depending on where you stay in MB, it can be crowded (lots of hi-rise condos and hotels, too).

Do a carriage ride in Charleston to get an overview on the town. With only two days scheduled for C-town, you'll want to hit the highlights.

Hilton Head has many "plantations" or gated communities. Head over to the HHI board to get specific info from them.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

Myrtle Beach is a big busy beach resort and entertainment area that could be almost anywhere (although the Grand Strand does have a great beach).

If your object is to see South Carolina and you enjoy history, you could cut down your time in Myrtle Beach and spend more time in the Charleston area. If you stay at one of Charleston's nearby beaches so you can be on the beach, but easily drive in and out of town. Then, while you are on Hilton Head, you can also visit the historic small town of Beaufort SC as well as Savannah GA.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

While you will see a great amount of history and our glorious coast, you will miss out on seeing "Cowpens", which many think was the decisive battle of the revolutionary war. It is near Greenville and was where Cornwallis had his first defeat, and from "Cowpens" he proceeded to Yorktown, and the final battle.

Stan (hhiguy)

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

I think I would shoot myself if I had to spend 7 nights in Myrtle Beach, but to each his own! I would pesonally spend less time there and more time in Charleston, which also has great beaches, as well as the history you

mentioned. I love Hilton Head, so I'd definitely spend 7 nights there.

barbados
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

thanks everoyone!!

Will maybe rethink

regards

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

I think 7 nights in hilton Head could get a little boring but to each there own. Good luck. I agree withe the MB & Charleston plans.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

Speaking for me I find it easier to spend more time in MB then in HH. The beach,water & sand are pretty much the same . Both have some very good resorts to choose from, if you look at the tA reviews MB has many more places ranked in the top 30 then HH but you can find topline accomodations in either place. If you are looking to relax on the beach you can do that at either destination, however, if you and your family want more choice of golf, resturants, shopping,entertainment & activities then MB has more choices. Both places are great destinations it just depends what you are looking for. Good luck

barbados
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

Thanks guys - we live in the caribbean so beaches are not a must see!! However the cycling, dolphin watching and fishing all appeal at hilton head, whilst the amusement part of MB will be a great change for our son.

Prior to coming to south Carolina we will just have spent the previos 2 weeks in Peru - and seeing Machu Pichu, cusco etc ....so this part of the holiday was all about relaxing and just having some good quality family time.

Any Must do's in any of the areas??

The carriage tour in charleston sounds fabulous - how long is it?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

you are on the correct forum for information about Hilton Head.

For best advice about Myrtle Beach and Charleston, post on the local forums for those destinations.

Here's the link for Myrtle Beach: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g54359-i25-Myrtle_…

Here's Charleston: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g54171-i105-Charle…

You might also post general questions on the Coastal South Carolina forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659476-i12770-Coa…

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: summer 2011 - MB, Charleston and then Hilton Head - any comm

Hi Pippadee,

Seeing that you're from Barbados, you will absolutely love Charleston, as it has a tremendous amount of eastern Caribbean and Barbadian influence in its architecture and its history. If I were you, I would spend at least half of those two weeks in and around Charleston.

Another poster mentioned Beaufort, which is my hometown and a very historic and pleasant community. You may want to consider spending one or two nights in town, which is a smaller (perhaps quainter?) version of Charleston. Nearby Hunting Island State Park is a natural paradise and a "hit" with kids of all ages (and adults, too). You may be interested in exploring the Lowcountry rivers via a kayak tour.

Plenty to see and do... if you want more info on Beaufort, check out these pages:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g54135-Beaufort_S…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations