We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery stores

Cleveland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
grocery stores

there are several grocery stores to shop at...which one has the lowest everyday prices and/or better sale prices? food lion, publix, harris teeter, piggly wiggly?

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery stores

All of the grocery stores save for Publix have frequent shopper cards that you can take advantage of while shopping. One more to add on your list would be BI-LO.

That said, some of those retailers mark up prices on other items to make it seem like you're saving money, when in actuality you aren't. My personal favorite store is Publix, because I think they have the best food and selection, but I also like Harris Teeter.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery stores

I will agree with beaufort about adding Bi-Lo. That is where we tend to shop when we are on the island. Get the frequent shopper card...it really does save you money.

We also use Fresh Market for ready to BBQ food...like kabobs or stuffed chicken breasts. Amazing selection...however it can be a little pricey.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery stores

The Island Packet newspaper has circulars for all the local grocery stores and depending on the item, the prices vary.

There is also a Sams Club on the island if you are a member. It's not as big as some of the clubs, but it does have a satisfactory variety of all types of items and their meat prices are definitely the lowest. We buy lots of meat there and the quality has been good.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery stores

The Publix Bakery is the best on the island, they also have the most sale items weekly according to SmartSource.

You can get fresh local catch seafood at the pig at Colgny.

And gourmet items and fresh prepared items are best at the Fresh Market.

Stan (hhiguy)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
136 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery stores

I agree with the posters above. For everyday prices... in my opinion!... lowest prices would be the Pig and Food Lion. We would shop at the Pig over Food Lion. Higher prices... Harris Teeter and Fresh Market, but both good. Beach week, we typically will stock up on everything day-to-day (cereal, bread, toiletries, etc) at the Pig and get the fresh meat (seafood, chicken) from Fresh Market or Harris Teeter.

Boston
Level Contributor
818 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery stores

I shop at Publix during our visits to the island each spring and fall. I usually check their website starting a few weeks before for specials and ideas, their sales run Thurs-Wed if memory serves me correctly. I usually shop the first day for basics, breakfast and lunch items and dinner for that night then fill in as needed during the week. Pubix has great roast chickens and key lime pie which we have the first night. We also enjoy the produce there

Hope this helps

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grocery stores

Another vote for Bi-Lo. We thought the items were less expensive than the Pig. We just walked in the door and were instantly grabbed by a clertk who practically threw a discount card at us! Good selection as well.

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grocery stores

From the "Coupon" post a few weeks ago...

Here's a list of the local grocery store websites. It's easy to view their weekly specials. You can sign up for their bonus cards online or just ask for a visitor card when you get here.

www.harristeeter.com

www.publix.com

www.bi-lo.com

www.foodlion.com

www.thepig.net

www.thefreshmarket.com

Use zip code 29928. All the stores put up new ads on Wednesday except Publix on Thursdays.

You can also get groceries on island at Wal-mart and Sam's Club.

Jeff

9. Re: grocery stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations