We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay

We're planing a first time family trip to Hilton Head next summer and I'm a little overwhelmed. We'll have 3 kids with us (14, 12 and 1 year). We'd like to stay in an area where we have the option of walking some days or nights to dinner, breakfast, for a drink, etc. We'd like a house with our own pool rather than staying in a resort. From what i can gather that would mean that we would want to be in either the North Forest Beach area within walking distance to Coligny Plaza - which i've found many rentals that fit that bill. However, i just read about Shelter Cove Marina/Palmetto Dunes and it seems there are SO many more restaurants and shops in that area that i am thinking that's where we would want to stay. I'm not sure how large or spread out the area is. Would i want to search for houses in Palmetto Dunes that indicate they are in walking distance to Shelter Cove?

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Coligny Beach
Coligny Beach
3,380 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Connecticut
Level Contributor
498 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay

Wife and I have stayed in Shelter Cove for the last 7-8 years. I think there are more restaurants, especially with scenic views, within walking distance than Coligney, but Coligney will have more shops to browse.

Palmetto Dunes is generally a long walk or short bike ride to Shelter Cove. A shuttle is available. Also, the beach is about a 3-4 minute drive from Shelter Cove with easy parking at the Disney resort and access to the beach. In Coligny, it's likely walkable depending on your location, but my opinion is that there's more crowds in that area.

Depending on the complex at Shelter Cove, a number of the condos/villas have pools. And I think the overall rental expenses are more affordable in Shelter Cove than closer to the ocean, if that is of any concern. Shelter Cove offers the fireworks display weekly, and it's real nice walking to that and not dealing with parking.

Especially for your 1 year old, there is a playground and a lot of kid themed events nightly throughout the summer.

Overall, it's just a matter of deciding what's most important. On a bright note, Coligny and Shelter Cove are only about 10 minutes apart, so it's pretty hard to go wrong. Just a matter of preference...

Mentioned in this post
Coligny Beach
Coligny Beach
3,380 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay

Where do you stay at Shelter Cove? I did see a really nice 3 bedroom Villa in a property called Main Sail that looked to be updated. Is that walking distance to the shops and restaurants on Shelter Cove? So if i'm reading correctly this is what is on Shelter Cove that you could walk to - Scott's Fish Market, Bistro 17, San Miguel's, Parrot Cove Bar, Little Venice Restaurant, Frosty's Italian Ice, Ela's Blue Water Grille. Then the other restaurants or places in Palmetto Dunes we would have to drive to? Like the carryout place, Dunes House, Alexander's, Arthur's, HH Prime, Fazio and Robert's Grille. And Shelter Cove is a ten minute drive from North Forest Beach/Coligny Plaza? One thing i'm running into is that the house rentals at North Forest Beach - within walking distance to Coligny - are super expensive and much bigger than what we need. The Sea Crest Villas seem the perfect location, but all the units for rent look very dated.

Mentioned in this post
Scott's Fish Market Restaurant
Scott's Fish Market...
257 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
HH Prime
HH Prime
217 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Coligny Beach
Coligny Beach
3,380 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Sea Crest Villas
Sea Crest Villas
69 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay

Another option i was thinking is the Westin or one of the Marriott's. It looks like they have nice pools, pool bar, on-site restaurants and the rooms seem fairly updated. Are these in walking distance to restaurants?

new york
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay

I am assuming you will want a 3 bdrm home/condo. Do you want to be oceanfront(at least see the ocean) ? If so, why not look at Sea Crest on North Forest Beach road. They have many beautiful 3 bdrm units that would comfortably sleep all of you right, on the ocean. There are 2 outdoor pools and one indoor. They are just steps from Coligny circle which have a ton of shops and restaurants. Your older 2 would have no problem going over by themselves to shop or get ice cream and the best part is.... no packing up all your stuff to walk to a beach. You can put the baby in a stroller & walk to dinner. I would also look at units in Shorewood and Ocean One has a few nicer 3 bdrm units.

This location is especially nice with younger tweens because it affords them some sense of independence( which my kids loved) and there are tons of other kids around. There is also entertainment at night for the little one.Summer is a busy time so this section of HH is crowded. PD would be more quiet but not much is walkable, if that is an issue. If you don't mind packing up a car and driving back and forth to the beach or waiting for a shuttle to take you to Shelter Cove, then PD is beautiful. I don't think you would want to stay across the street at Shelter Cove- that is quite a hike to the beach- driving distance! Shelter cove is across the main highway Rte. 278 a very busy road esp. in the summer.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Coligny Beach
Coligny Beach
3,380 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Connecticut
Level Contributor
498 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay

To answer your earlier questions, we always stay in Harbourside, which is very close to Main Sail (both are right on the marina). We are not owners, but have a good relationship with some locals who share their place with us when they are away. We pass MainSail on our daily walks, and it looks like a nice facility with great amenities. It is completely in walking distance to everything in Shelter Cove. Dolphin cruises are literally seconds from your doorstep, as well as all the restaurants asked about in your e-mail.

As for beach access... Shelter Cove is only about a 3-4 minute drive to the Disney Resort in Palmetto Dunes. Like I said earlier, it's just a matter of you weighing what is most important for you. For us, we love walking the beach and don't necessarily spend the full day there, so this works well since there are showers to wash the sand off and bathrooms at the Dunes House. If you plan on long days at the beach with lots of things to bring, then you have to weigh the convenience (and expense) of staying very close by. Walking would be a hike, though there are nice bike paths and walking paths under the highway so you're going through the hassle of actually crossing the road.

You can google MainSail and Shelter Cove to get an idea of what the layout is. Hope that helps. Honestly, Hilton Head is small enough that you can really get anywhere pretty easily, and beautiful enough that you can't really discredit any location. The whole island is wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
The Dunes House
The Dunes House
274 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay

Since the Seacrest is only 10 years old, I don't understand your comment about the units being dated. The units are lockouts which is different than the average apartment, and some of the owners may not have refurnished recently.

As a condo owner who does short term rental, I realize that you do have to buy new furniture wvery 5 or 6 years, as they become worn by the constant renters.

I would keep looking for a good SeaCrest, 3 bedroom as i believe you will be quite pleased with it. You maybe should pay a little more for the rental by going to a rental agency. Beach Properties and the Vacation Company have the most units available there.

Stan (hhiguy)

new york
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay

...and to add on to Stan(HHIGUY) we have used Vacation company (at Stan's recommendation) and been very pleased. They seem to have very upscale and up-to-date units.

In other words... if Vacation Company is representing the unit... you have very few worries as they have very high standards!

Keep looking at Seacrest - you will be pleased!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay

I really appreciate all the help! We probably would spend most of our time at the pool so being right next to the beach isn't important. The 3 bed at seacrest is a tad too small, we would want two 2 bed units. I found 2 thru vacation company - the were about 2500 each and definitely not what I would call upscale. I found a 5 bed house, walking distance to coligny the owner says - it's on sandpiper and it's 5,000. I think we may go with that.

Ohio
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay

you might want to try the Hilton Head Beach Villa's on South Forest beach. They are all 3 bedrooms and your older kids could use the downstairs. The unit is beach front so it is an easy access to and from the beach and it is 1/2 mile from Coligny circle so you could walk to dinner. it also has a small baby pool for your youngest i think you would really like the complex.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coligny Beach
Coligny Beach
3,380 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
new york
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay

We have also stayed at Beach Villas and while each unit is individually owned, you might find one that suits your needs. We rented a 3 bedroom and it was very spacious! You aren't in the unit much more than to sleep and eat breakfast and maybe a quick lunch. However, I would vote for the Seacrest 3bdrms over Beach villas. If your kids can share a room, at Sea Crest Resort(make sure this is the complex you are looking at)most have1 king, 2 double beds in the 2nd and 2 twins in the 3rd) you will really have plenty of room for the fraction of the cost of a 5 bdrm house. The house will have 1 bdrm totally empty! The pools are oceanfront. You may think you will just be in the pool but when you visit the ocean- you tend to go in the ocean or at least you wnat to be able to see it as much as possible. Ortherwise , why go to the beach?? - esp. being from pittsburgh.... with no beaches in sight!!! :-)