We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

We rented a condo in HHI for the month of March, was sent written confirmation: Check-in, Mar 1. Check-out, April 1

We were informed after three days of bing here that we must leave by March 31, because the owner rented the condo starting on Mar 31.

This isn't earth-shattering, but I certainly have a bad taste in my mouth over the change in the rental period, as per the written agreement.

Do others think I am being overly sensitive here, or do you think you would be upset also?

The owner did not offer anything in the way of compensation, only said that we have to leave early on Mar 31

accent

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

It would annoy me as well, an owner and everyone else should honor their written agreement.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

You are owed, legally, at the very least a 1 day refund. You should also get more compensation, but that may be more trouble than its worth. If rented through an agency, then I would file a complaint with the BBB.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

I booked a home through VRBO for the month of October and I just noticed that the site shows the home is available for rent on the 31st of October. I would have expected to have the place till the first of November but considering the off season price, I won't make waves.

In your case, I think you are owed a refund, or else the new renters should have to wait an extra day for the place. You have a contract!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

Thank you for your responses, at least I know others feel as I do.

Since I don't live in SC, I don't know the law here, but if this happened at home, I know the contract would be binding, and I would receive compensation for leaving a day early.

My only recourse now is to not rent here again, though we have rented at this resort every year for the past eleven years. After being a customer for so long, I am surprised the resort management would be so adamant about us leaving a day early.

accent

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

If you are renting through a resort, why not have them put you up the final night in another unit?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

I would be leaving on my check out day! They should have contacted you and worked out something before hand.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

Contracts are written to protect both parties. In most cases, when renting by the month, it will state the last day of the month is your final DAY, but it's sometimes not made clear if you can stay over that night. However, if yours clearly states the 1st is your checkout day, then the management is basically telling you they intend to break the contract yet not offering you any consideration for doing so. Not legal and certainly no way to treat a loyal customer.

Why don't you calmly suggest to them that if they can't move you, a 1/30th refund is only fair, and doesn't even compensate you for your inconvenience DUE TO THEIR ERROR. If they refuse, I'd refuse to leave on the 31st. You've got a contract to back you up. What a shame this happened.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

I had this happen to me several years ago in Ocean City Maryland. The Condo was owned by a two person partnership. Neither partner communicated with each other on rentals, so when we entered the condo, we found someone else there.

The owner was able to put us up for the one night situation. It was inconvenient, but an attempt was made to care of it.

Last year, I had a renter in my unit, when the air conditioner went out. We moved the renter to the Hilton for one night, while the air conditioner was fixed.

Stan (hhiguy)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

That stinks! I agree they owe you (at the very least) compensation for one night or alternate accomodations for the last night. Better yet, suggest they change the other person's plans, since you have already arrived & have a signed contract!

For me personally, the one night alternate accomodations would be more trouble than it's worth. You would spend a good part of a day packing up & preparing to leave. You have to load up what you needed for a month in the car or take it to your new accomodations.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Told to Leave Earlier than Agreement Stated

Problem is: the other folks probably have a signed contract too that states April 1st to whenever