We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Nashville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Hello all. My husband and I are going to Hilton Head for our anniversary and we have decided to stay in the Palmetto Dunes area over Sea Pines because of the beach. However, we are having difficulties deciding where to stay. The Marriott hotel is booked, so we are looking at condos. Our priorities are: 1) good view of the beach with easy, close walking access; 2) good pool and hot tub access, but we don't want to be right near them b/c we like napping so we want a quiet area; 3) nice unit, hopefully one that is newer or has been renovated recently.

Right now, based on availability, we are considering: 1) 110 Barrington Court (note, not Barrington Arms), which is what was recommended when I called the reservations line. It sounds like it is close to the beach, but a little concerned about being on the first floor, with regards to both noise and the view; 2) 5307 Hampton Place, which looks like a beautiful unit, but we can't figure out where it is located and so what the view and beach access would be like; and 3) one of the Marriott Vacation Club timeshare units. It looks like the Marriott SurfWatch is the one that is in the area that we want, but hard to say for sure since there are so many. The main downside to this is that since we aren't timeshare owners, we just get whatever unit they stick us in, with no say in the view or location within the development. Plus it seems like it is going to be more expensive. However, they look nice and it seems like you maybe get housekeeping services, which we would like, which you don't get with the Palmetto Dunes Villas.

Any advice and/or information about these places would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

PS: We also considered staying at the Westin but ruled it out based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. It sounds like it is undergoing a lot of construction right now.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Brooke: When are you going and what is your budget? That will help.

D in Muskoka

Nashville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

We are currently planning June 2nd through the 9th. We originally were going to go Memorial Day week b/c that is our actual anniversary but we decided the traffic and crowds might be a lot easier to deal with if we waited a week. We don't particularly have a set budget, but based on what I've seen in my research, I expect to spend between $2000 and $3500 on the room for the week. Probably around $2500 would be ideal but we are looking for a 2 bedroom so I know we might need to spend a little more. If we need to go with a 1 bedroom with a totally separate living room with sleeper sofa, we would consider that too. That is what we were looking for when we were looking at the hotels, but with the villas a 2 bedroom seems nicer.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

I would check out vrbo.com and look at the villamare. We stayed there last year and it has everything you requested and is beautiful.

Georgia
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Here's a map of Villamare layout:

goodevacationrentals.com/maps/villamare.jpg

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Vila Mare Buildings 1 and #3 have The the best views. They also have Jacuzzi Bath tubs in their units.

Captains Walk actually has the best views, since this is the only complex which has all units directly on the ocean. You have units which have views from both the living room and master bedroom. The only drawback is no Hot tub.

As to your question about the Hamptons, The complex is located right next to the Omni.

The Marriott Surfwatch is NOT in PD. It is further down the road nearer to folly beach. It is also not directly on the ocean, but you would have to walk down a fairly long path to get there.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Villamere is nice, but I stayed in Windsor Court -Palmetto Dunes, and it is my top choice. Used vrbo.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
10 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

We have been staying in Villamare for many years and really enjoy it. There are multiple units available on VRBO and varying prices. As mentioned by others, building 1 and 3 have the best views. I hope you enjoy your stay.

David

Nashville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the help and input. We ended up choosing Hampton Place based on the specific unit, because it had just been renovated and is gorgeous! Also it has a great beach view. So we are very excited for our trip. I will definitely post a review when we get back. Thanks to everyone, especially LJano, for all of the information and advice!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay in Palmetto Dunes

Thank you Brooke,

Have a wonderful time in Hilton Head!

Laura

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head