We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs outside?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
knoxville,tn
5 posts
Save Topic
bugs outside?

Have heard HHI can have bugs ( no see ums?) & wondered if we may experience that. Also, the Avon Skin so Soft oil repels them...true or false?! We are coming next week end!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,910 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bugs outside?

The entire lowcountry area has mosquitos and sand gnats (no see ums). Currently, lots of mosquitos due to all the recent rain. I suggest OFF! Deep Woods, dry formula to keep the bugs away. The Avon stuff is OK, but you are so greasy that the gnats stick to your skin if they land on you. yuck.

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bugs outside?

The only times we really experienced mosquito bites was during the evening or perhaps if we were in wooded areas but even then, it wasn't problematic. I've never, ever had an issue with no-seeums however. I know what those bites are like having spent time on Sanibel. Such bites are more painful and several times as itchy.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,910 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bugs outside?

Yes, the most likely time to encounter them is early morning, late afternoon into dusk and in any heavily shaded, grassy or wooded area. It is not an issue in bright sunshine or fairly breezy conditions.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bugs outside?

I was there a few weeks ago and used the Off Deep Woods Dry spray and it seemed to do the trick... Although before I went out and bought it, I was covered in bug bites from mosquitos, no see ums and biting flies. Nasty bites and itched like crazy!! Made for a few rather uncomfortable days. Make sure you bring the bug spray!

United States
Level Contributor
400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bugs outside?

We never really notice any bugs there, but most of our time is spent in the pool or on the beach. My husband likes to read outside on our balcony late at night and he always brings a citronella candle, so I assume that is an issue during the evening. Hopefully you will be as lucky as us with avoiding bug bites!

Elkhart, Iowa
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bugs outside?

My daughter got bit up like crazy a couple nights ago out by the pool for a short time. She swells up quite a bit from bug bites so she looks a little worse for wear at the moment. Yes, bring your spray!!

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bugs outside?

Just got back (literally) from HHI. I got tore up by bugs BUT I took a lot of long walks in secluded wooded areas. Wish I would have sprayed more. Our place down there has a screened in balcony and I am so glad it is there. The bugs aren't any worse than any southern beach town though.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 06:16
8. Re: bugs outside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:17