We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Week, Warm Weather

Boston
Level Contributor
807 posts
Save Topic
Great Week, Warm Weather

We spent last week on Hilton Head from Sept 29th - Oct 6th, using family timeshare at Marriott Sunset Pointe, although the weather was much warmer and more humid with lots of showers last week, weather we usually do not encounter in October we had a great week and already planning our next trip in April.

We flew into Savannah via Delta from Boston, landed at 1:20 and by 1:45 had luggage and rental car on our way to HH, arriving on the island by 2:45 including a stop for drinks.

Our stay at Sunset Pointe was fine as usual, my husband has to have medical supplies shipped ahead which were delivered to our villa when we arrived. On site bike rental is so handy with the off season price of $20 per bike for the week. We biked to the beach every day with walks along the beach, it was high tide most of the week during the day so it was not as easy to ride on the beach in Palmetto Dunes. The cloudy weather made it easier to bike in the humid weather.

We were told by the staff at Sunset Pointe, that many of the units are going to be updated over the next few months with new furnishings, carpets, paint, decorating etc. All units that do not have stainless steel appliances will also have new appliances. Marriott updates the units every 5 years.

We spent a day at Tybee Island GA this trip, glad we went but do not think we will go back, reminded us of Myrtle Beach and not the atmosphere we enjoy on Hilton Head. We did visit the light house and museum which we enjoyed but avoided many of the restaurants downtown as when we walked in could smell the food and smoke, not something we enjoyed.

Another day we did a Gullah Tour with Gullah Tours of Hilton Head, enjoyed the tour as we had not done it for 5 years with the tour route changing a little. The tour now leaves from the Coastal Discovery Museum. We also tried to book 2 events with Coastal Discovery Museum without any success, the fall brouchure lists a tour in Port Royal about the civil war as a fall event which turns out only runs from March - September and we were trying to book it in October, there was also another civil war tour listed that when we called to book it was not taking place as no one else had inquired about it. Hopefully on our next visit in the spring we will be able to take the tours as my husband loves civil war history.

Food/staple shopping was done at Publix when we arrived, however, the next day we went to Walmart which is now finished since our last visit, in checking out some prices for staples, soda, etc we found the prices at Walmart much lower then Publix which will make us rethink our shopping on island next visit.

One day we went to Coligny Plaza and ended up having lunch at Coligny Grill & Deli, great lunch will go back, we both had chicken salad sandwiches which next visit we would get 1 sandwich to split between us as they are so big we did not order any ice cream which I wanted to try.

Our nights out for dinner were pizza at Guisseppes which ended up as dinner for 2 nights. The other nights we went to Kingfishers visiting our favorite bartender Tina and Todd. We spent Wed, Thurs and Fri nights there as we enjoy the nightly entertainment also we tried the ribs for the first time, ended up getting full rack and splitting which was enough for both of us.

A new event in Shelter Cove on Thursday nights is the outdoor concert, which we watched for awhile after dinner on our way back to our villa from Kingfishers, the crowd seemed to enjoy the concert, it runs from 6-9 pm every Thursday during October.

As usual our week was over before we knew it, on our last day we had breakfast at Hilton Head Diner and then checked out the new ZipLine, husband wants to try it on our next visit as long as a more daring member of our famiy comes with us, I will be happy taking photos from ground level.

Hoping to visit again the end of April for our spring vacation.

Centreville, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

So happy to hear that about the weather, we are headed there next Tuesday and this will be the latest time of the year we've ever been to HH.

Will have to check out the concert in Shelter Cove too.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

Very nice trip report. I, too, love staying in Shelter Cove. Just watching the dolphin and the tide with all the birds is so relaxing. I love history, too. If you take the tour in April, please write up another report. I'll be down in May.

Hilton Head, South...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

Great to hear that you had a nice visit. I am sorry about the confusion on the Civil War programs /tours. Our Fort Mitchel tour is offered between March and September, but the Forts of Port Royal is offered year-round. I hope that you'll be able to join us for a history tour or program during your next visit. Please check with us before your visit next time and we'll be happy to have you as our guest. If you would please email me at nhefter@coastaldiscovery.org, I'll be happy to arrange it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

Visited hhi Nov16th to 24th this year-the weather was fantastic 75-85 degrees each day. It was my 9th trip ii the last 6years. I fly from London Gatwick to HHI via Charlotte. Hilton Head airport is a joy as airports go and the island is just about the most relaxing place I have ever visited. I always rent a home on Shipyard-I know that its old and run down a bit, but it so wonderfully QUIET. The golf courses are not the greatest but good enough, and the rates are pretty good.

The choices of restaurants is quite amazing for such a small place and a s long as you stick to the middle to upper price range you cannot go far wrong

Also plenty of nightlife if you want it,but it is not bothersome if you dont.

All in all I love the place and cannot wait to go back in March 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

Heading out this afternoon to Hilton Head for Thanksgiving and hope the weather stays good. Will report back.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

169Mike must have his dates wrong - high temps have been in the low to mid 60s on HHI for the last week and is expected to continue to be like that except for Sunday which will be quite chilly by HHI standards.

7. Re: Great Week, Warm Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head