We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Hi Everyone,

You've all been such a huge help with all my questions :) Thought I'd throw another one at you. We will be visiting HHI in the summer (I'm just really excited, so I'm doing all my research now). We will be traveling with a 3 year old and a new baby. We may fly in one day earlier (we are staying at a time share for a week) and can choose to spend a full day either in Charleston or Savannah (depending on what city we choose to fly to). What has more to do or more to see for the one day? I know Savannah is closer (1 hour drive?) than Charleston, so we could even plan a day trip to Savannah during the week, right? I have read that Charleston is a few hours drive.

If we stay in Charleston, are there any family friendly hotels, within the vibrant/touristy areas, anyone recommends?

Thanks so much.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

The babies won't appreciate Charleston or Savannah, and you won't enjoy a summer day in either city with miserable toddlers.

Take your family vacation where the littles can be comfortable, and visit cultural sites and vibrant touristy areas when your children are at least 15 years old.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 02:55
Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Anyone with more helpful, less judgmental advice?

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Actually, just re-read your post and that is some really good advice.. Just thought it would make things easier for the little ones to go earlier, but seeing the cities in a heatwave (if it were a hot day) would be brutal and all of us would be miserable... Makes me wonder if we should skip those trips. I really want to see Savannah, but I do need to take into account if it's hot and humid!

Thanks for bringing that to my mind.. I actually never gave that much thought.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Traveling is so very expensive. Flying vs driving is a huge decision because either way, children don't enjoy the trip.

Hate to say it, but lowcountry SC is miserable in the summer. Anyone who can afford it gets out of here. The rest of us stay indoors with A/C most of the day.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

I would skip the 2 cities with the little ones. Enjoy the pool and the beach at Hilton Head with the children. Maybe see the other two cities when grandma can watch the kids..

Edited: 27 December 2012, 04:12
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Both cities deserve more than one day.

There is no "if" in whether it will be hot and humid. It will.:)

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Lot's of charlestonians knocking their city! LOL.

I am the group saying enjoy the beach, but if you insist, Charleston has a terrific Aquarium which is not to be missed if you plan to land in the city.

Savannah has it's charms also, but with small children, I'd opt for Charleston.

Stan (hhiguy)

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Where in my post am I knocking Charleston?

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

Thanks everyone! I have definitely lived in places with unbearable heat and know how agonizing it can be, so I'm going to listen to your advice.

Would it make any difference if we go at the very end of August? When do the high temps./humidity wane, but it's still swimming/beach weather (i.e. it's in the 80's, rather than 100 degrees).

Thanks for all the great help!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston or Savannah stay on way to HHI?

End of August/beg. of September is an excellent time. Schools in SC & NC usually start at that time, so less crowded, IMO.

I would pick Charleston, rather than Savannah. Aquarium in Charleston, Serpentarium on Edisto Island = great for the little ones.

http://www.scaquarium.org/default.aspx

http://www.edistoserpentarium.com/hours.cfm

I have a lot of Canadian & European friends who visit us in Charlotte, NC (direct flights from Toronto, Munich, London, Frankfurt), who rent a car to go down the coast (Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah) or drive from Canada with small children. The 2 places (Aquarium & Serpentarium) are the 2 big hits... Also Myrtle Beach (ripley's A.)

http://www.ripleyaquariums.com/myrtlebeach/

There are Children Museums in Myrtle Beach & Savannah, both nice, but compared to Charlotte's Discovery Place, not the same class... (feedback from my friends). In Savannah - for the little ones who like trains, there is an excellent Railroad Museum, I hope the website will open...

www.chsgeorgia.org/Railroad-Musuem.html

My opinion about driving/flying with small kids: It can be done, we travelled extensively with our kids when they were little, with a good planning, frequent stops, their favorite toys, blankets, good air-conditioning..etc.

it can be done! Don't be discouraged & if possible, come down end of Aug./Sept. Have a wonderful vacation!

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head