We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or July?

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
May or July?

Hello

We are planning on visiting in May the week of Memorial Day (5/26-6/2). We were thinking of possibly switching to the week of 6/30-7/6. We are staying at Island Beach and Tennis Resort. We have 2 kids, 7 and 4. We are planning on hanging at the beach and pool, mini-golf, day trip to Savannah...pretty low key. I was looking for some thoughts on the different weeks...yes, I know it will be hotter in July. I do like the idea of early season, but the holiday week could be fun too, no? I just thought there might be some things we didn't think to consider.

Thanks!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: May or July?

Hmm, personally, if it was me, I'd pick May.

Both dates are going to be very busy, but July will be hot, really hot, May will be much better.

I think also you'll have a little bit less crowds in May than July (especially that date range in july)

hilton head
Level Contributor
19 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May or July?

hands down........ MAY........July, hot, prices high, crowded............. if youre not tied to the school calender, no reason to ever come here between mid june and mid august

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May or July?

I agree with above posts. My favorite months on the island are May and late September-early October.

Joanne

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May or July?

I also will 100% agree. We travel to the island in May and September every year and it is perfect weather...perfect crowds...maybe we shouldn't be telling everyone though!!!

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May or July?

I am so happy to see this as we were leaning towards May. Thank you everyone!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May or July?

However, July will offer you the fireworks display. And yes, there were will more children around for yours to interact with.

USA
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May or July?

I don't think you would have to worry as much about the jellyfish in May.The ocean water gets warm enough in July and August to attract them. I've been in August when we could not get in the ocean all week due to the jellyfish,but in June we had no problem.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May or July?

May is definitely better for most things. The one nice thing about July is that the ocean is bath water and you can practically fall asleep in it, in your little beach chair. On the other hand summer time brings jellyfish. I still have a scar to prove it.

9. Re: May or July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head