We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Woodys

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Woodys

Can anyone tell me about the new Captain Woodys in HH. We will be there during the lunch hr and was looking for a great place for lunch and a few cold adult beverages. LOL.

thanks

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Woodys

While I have not personally eaten at their new location, I have spoken with others who have and they have positive things to say. It is supposedly an expanded lunch menu, but they continue to serve their "he crab" soup and grouper melt sandwich- a popular choice of many.

Enjoy.

Joanne

hilton head
Level Contributor
19 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Woodys

Well, I have not tried the "new location" but at the end of the day they have been here a LONG time and are rated #115 ......cmon? I will keep an open mind and give it a shot but I will suggest that in the past they did not use local Shrimp or Oysters which is confusing because the quality is soo outstanding of our local sea food,,,,,,,,, Their "he crab soup" is indeed outstanding but why would anyone put a piece of cheese on a grouper sandwich? And then charge $14? Putting cheese on a piece of fish (as opposed to a baked dish ) is taboo...........

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Woodys

The place is okay, way way WAY overpriced like most restaurants on the island (seriously, apparently shrimp are made out of gold)

The atmosphere though was a nice change of pace, much more lively and upbeat compared to a lot of places on the island.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Woodys

"Overpriced like most restaurants on the island"?????

I guess you haven't traveled much. HH prices are reasonable to cheap based on any major city in this country and the quality is far superior. OK, your beer does cost more. Try living in NJ or NY. I can get a whole meal there for what a pizza would cost me here.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Woodys

Well #1 I'd never live in NJ or NY, Heck I'd never want to live anywhere but a southern state, and #2, most restaurants are waaaaay overpriced compared to other coastal towns in SC, NC and GA.

HHI restaurants are priced for one thing, tourists and it shows

hilton head
Level Contributor
19 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Woodys

Well at the end of the day, i suspect it will be the same lame quality as the "old CPT Woodys" or the lame one in Bluffton....... Its very "crazy crab" and if you are from Ohio or Michigan, or NJ you might just feel right at home and your favorite mexican place would be "fiesta fresh".......

Edited: 29 March 2013, 04:01
Mentioned in this post
Bluffton
Bluffton
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
869 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Woodys

Was there a few weeks back for their oyster roast. We always go as it is fun and for a good cause. Personally liked the old location better by the water and other bars, but I guess the new one is more central and less of a drive. And yes for the oyster roast the oysters were not from Bluffton. But the he-crab soup was good (little too salty) but then most restaurant food is over salted. Not one of the places on my list to go on regular basis.

Mentioned in this post
Bluffton
Bluffton
Coastal South Carolina, SC
hilton head
Level Contributor
19 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Woodys

yeah, "captain woodys" would give the perception of being local and oysters are local in the Winter/Spring/Fall but that doesnt stop them from using non-local oysters all year around.......ditto with shrimp..........

Charlotte
Level Contributor
682 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Woodys

Did something replace the old Captain Woody's location?

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Woodys

I lived in central New Jersey while working in NYC for 25 years before relocating to Wisconsin. I traveled extensively on business are have eaten in most mid to major cities throughout the US. You are correct in my opinion that HHI prices are comparable, particularly in the high end places, to the big cities. However you can find many good places on the island with family type pricing. Those places also exist in the big cities too.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head