We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather question

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
492 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Weather question

Last year we arrived to HHI and it was chilly...that's right. In June it was chilly and all the locals said HHI had an unusually cold Spring. Is that the case this year? We normally come the first or 2nd weekend in June (depending on the calendar) and we have hot weather, not August hot, but hot enough. I was not disappointed last year because the trail ride in Sea Pines was great, not sweating and having bugs all around but it was rainy a lot of the time and there were a few times on the beach I was wrapped in a sweatshirt and blanket while reading my book. Just want a little feedback from the locals so I'm prepared.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather question

hard to really predict, but we had quite a chilly and rainy spring, but for the past two weeks its been quite warm.

I don't think we'll have another cold, we've been steady in the mid 70s-low 80s.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather question

It has been cool until this past week. We are having more seasonable temperatures now.

Stan (hhiguy)

NJ
Level Contributor
167 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather question

I'm also curious about this. We're coming down this Saturday and the forecast says scattered t-storms. Are these the kind that come and go really quickly and leave you with sun? Or can we expect it to be overcast and rainy when it says scattered t-storms?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather question

Usually this time of year its popup t-storms/showers that come quickly in the heat of the day and disappear

warren, nj
Level Contributor
295 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather question

We were in Hilton Head last week- the weather was beautiful high 70's low 80's mostly sunny. We were also worried before we got there because the weather on my IPhone said pure thunderstorms every day. Couldn't be further from the truth/ we had 1 shower the night we got there; just lasted through dinner- then no more rain. Be optimistic! Have a great time!!!!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather question

We were there last week too. Perfect weather. Warm on the beach and cool enough in the afternoon to ride bikes to dinner. Very glad we didn't go the week before. Noseeums were bad though.

Fairfield, Ohio...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather question

Just wanted to check in regarding the weather and see how it's been this past week for those who are there. We arrive Saturday and the forecast calls for about a 30-40% chance of thunderstorms almost every day. Hopefully this is just seasonal and pop up showers!! Is that a common forecast for this time of year?

warren, nj
Level Contributor
295 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather question

My previous post may be in this thread, not sure- we were in HH a few weeks ago and, like you, thunderstorms were predicted every day. Turned out not to be the case at all. We had rain 1 night while we had dinner; other than that it was a nice mix of sun and clouds till last 3 days pure sun. Relax, enjoy, and don't rely on weather forecasts, it'll be great!!!!!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather question

Last week the weather was perfect. This week it's been hot, humid, and rainy. Still doesn't stop us from the pool or the beach between the rain drops. In over 30+ years, I've never had a problem with noseeums until this year. No one else in my family has had a problem with them, but I stopped counting after 100 bites. Just miserable for me this year.

Hilton Head Island
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather question

We have a very interesting climate to say the least. It is not uncommon for it to be pouring on the S End of the island and be bright and sunny mid island or north end. For the past couple of years, very steady afternoon sea breezes during the summer have kept most of the precipitation inland. It is very rare that an entire week will get washed out during your stay. Just make sure you have some indoor plans ready to go if you need them.

Having spent many years coaching youth baseball here and watching kids sporting events, I can tell you that the sand gnats are most brutal when the weather is nicest. You've probably heard all the local remedies: dryer sheets, wax myrtle branches, skin so soft, etc. There is a company in Beaufort that has recently launched an insect repellant called Green Bug. It uses cedar oil as the active ingredient. I have found it to be effective but unfortunately don't know where to buy it.