We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
207 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

My husband and I will be in HH next week. Just wondering if road bikes are okay for exploring the island, or is it better just to rent a beach cruiser?

Appreciate the advice!

Virginia
Level Contributor
298 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

If you are planning to stick to bike trails - I would imagine your road bikes would be fine. I personally wouldn't want to ride a nice bike on the beach because of the salt and sand. Before we purchased cruisers we found it easier to just rent bikes for our trips than hassle with hauling our mountain bikes down.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Bikes are relatively cheap and the fat tires will allow you to ride on the beach too. The cruiser's cushy seats and upright sitting positions are a real plus when we're just tooling around. Many of the bike paths are somewhat curvy, so you won't be able to travel fast enough to really utilize your road bikes unless you get into some of the more open areas.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Road bike tires are also too heavy for the beach- rent cruisers.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Do mountain bikes ride okay on the beach?

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

When I was shopping for a new bike here, the folks at the bike store told me the road (mountain) bikes are tougher to ride on the beach because they are heavier and dig into the sand more than the cruisers. So I bought the cruiser and it is fantastic on the beach . So I have not ridden a road ( mountain) bike on the beach.

If you are referring more to the skinny wheeled bikes, they also do not ride as well on the beach, but you could get by with it.

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
207 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Thanks for the advice! We'll definitely rent bikes instead.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

jimsgirl, it really depends on the type of tires you have on your bike. If they're not wide and at somewhat smooth (with at least some continuous rubber down the middle) they will be tougher to ride in the sand, but it would still be possible. You also want to think about whether you want to expose your bike to the salt and sand if it's expensive.

Hilton Head Island
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

It also depends on the type of riding you want to do. I have a road bike that I will not ride on the bike paths because it is way too dangerous. I have a cruiser that I ride all over the island on the bike paths when I am just puttering around.

Bike Doctor on the south end runs a group ride on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 6:00. It is definitely an A ride so it's not for everyone.

Hope this helps!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Thanks for the advice! They are not "road" bikes, mountain bikes are made for trail riding, so they do have wide tires with lots of tread. We also plan to ride the bike paths, so renting bikes seems expensive if we want to ride multiple days. I guess we'll have to give it some thought.

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
169 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring out road bikes or rent beach cruisers?

Bike rental is relatively cheap in Hilton Head. We usually get them for a week for $20 or less per bike. They drop them off and pick them up and take care of any problems. We have used several different companies and have been pleased with all of them. Check online for coupons and look for the best deal. Order now for Saturday delivery because the places with the best deals will run out of bikes and not be able to deliver until Sunday or later.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head