We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chowder or crab soup?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Chowder or crab soup?

We are looking for a place to find good chowder or crab soup. It's my daughter's only dining request. Any ideas?

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

Woody's has a very good "He Crab" soup and the Black Marlin has a great "Bayside Seafood Chowder." The Crazy Crab has an excellent She Crab Soup.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

Forget chowder. You want she-crab soup.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

Chowder is a northern thing.

You want she crab. Best she crab is in charleston. So many yanks in HHI that nobody makes a real good one.

Best luck ive had for it is probably crazy crab or sea shack.

Columbia, South...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

Blue Marlin in Columbia, SC has amazing she-crab soup. Also, anything seafood is going to be the best in Charleston, SC. Hyman's is my favorite in that city.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

She needs to have some shrimp and grits also.

Hilton Head, South...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

I'm not sure why anyone would respond to your direct request for soup advice on Hilton Head by advising you to go else where, or to recommend that you eat other food. The recommendations for those who are in the best position to know are valid. The Black Marlin, Woody's and the Crazy Crab are well known. Scott's Fish Market used to make a terrific crab soup, but wasn't as good the last time we tried it. Trattoria Divina is also good, and gives you a free jigger of sherry to pour into the soup, which is probably not a good idea for your daughter, but might be great for you. Anyway, be advised that a few of the folks who respond on this website actually either know very little about Hilton Head, or seemingly have an ax to grind. There are three designated destination experts for Hilton Head who are the most likely to provide accurate and objective information.

Mentioned in this post
Trattoria Divina
Trattoria Divina
962 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

I don't think any two places make she crab soup the same so a lot depends on your own liking.

Based on the She-Crab soup only, my choices would be the Crazy Crab at Jarvis Creek, Black Marlin, Woody's, and Hugo's. Personal preference says Hugo's is the best.

I don't know of any restaurants that sell corn chowder with seafood on their regular menus, but when I've had it as the soup of the day, it was always to die for.

nlg
McMinnville...
Level Contributor
436 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

We have gotten some very good chowder and gumbo at the Sea Shack-you can also get it to go by the quart.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

I HIGHLY recommend Captain Woody's he-crab soup. We buy it by the quart so that we have some in the fridge the whole time we are there. We have tried it all over the island and they have the best we have found!

Oh...now I am craving it! 57 days to go!!!!

10. Re: Chowder or crab soup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head