We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Magherafelt
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

We are a family of 5 from the UK Kids will be 2, 7 and 10 in the summer of 2014 when we intend to go and book a villa for our longest ever holiday.

As someone that has never visited the US Im quite blown away when trying to work out where to go. Ive enough sense to know I dont want to spend alot of time on the road travelling so am really looking for a beautiful area to stay and enjoy simple activities with my family such as cycling, swimming and playing on the beach. Id like to find a really special area and get to know it rather than trying to see it all!

Am I looking in the right place - Hilton Head? Any advice from those in the know would be most appreciated!!!

S - UK

Charlotte
Level Contributor
644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

We love Hilton Head and it certainly has the kind of things you're looking for, but we'd go a little stir crazy if we did 7 weeks there are tourists. I'd recommend doing 3-4 weeks in HHI and 3-4 weeks at one of the Charleston beaches (maybe Isle of Palms) just to get a bit of a change of scenery. They are about 2.5 hours away from each other and Isle of Palms would give you easy access to all that Charleston offers.

And that time of year, all rentals are weekly, it's questionable that you'd be able to negotiate a discount for a longer stay in one place.

Magherafelt
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

Hi Brian, thanks so much for responding. Can I chance my arm and ask if you have any tips for finding a villa. We'd like to get something really nice but isn't there usually a premium to pay for managed lettings?

Is there any good local websites that owners would advertise on?

PS. If by rare chance you have ever considered visiting Northern Ireland Id be happy to give you my advice!!!

I can tell you everything you need to know about our terrible weather and lack of attractions! only joking not a bad place.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

Try www.vrbo.com.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

We rent yearly on the island and always use www.vrbo.com. It includes not only "by owner" rental listings, but also many of the professional managed properties on the island.

If you can't find what you want there, you can also try:

http://www.islandgetaway.com/

http://www.hhivacations.com/

http://www.hiltonheadrentals.com/

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

Hi. While raising our kids we spent at least two weeks a year on the Carolina shore. Hilton Head aside from the beach proper is really geared more towards the adult crowd. For American kids, particularly the 7 and 10 year old's you have, there is not a lot for them past a week or two stay. I would surely spend time in Hilton Head, but I would suggest you consider Sunset Beach in North Carolina or North Myrtle Beach in South Carolina for you second leg. The reason, the Myrtle Beach area is all about kids and families, endless things to do especially when you get those inevitable rainy days. I would also suggest you start your holiday as late in July as you can. The reason is off the beach the weather in July is really hot and as you get into mid-August the local kids return to school and villa prices really begin to drop. Good Luck!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

Hilton Head is a wonderful destination. However, since you are open to suggestions, you might want to post your query on the general forum for Coastal South Carolina, where you may learn more about all of the beach areas - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659476-i12770-Coa…

Edited: 23 October 2013, 20:08
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

We were in Hilton Head last month with a 1 year old and 4 year old. We had a great time, but after a week, we drove 5 hours to Orlando and spent a few days at Disney World. It was a nice change of pace and TONS to do to keep the kids happy. Just a thought!

Virginia
Level Contributor
269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

I guess I am in the minority - we visit HHI several times a year and have done so for about the last 5-6 years. *Every* time we leave we think of things that we wished we had had time to do and still haven't worked into a trip and I feel like we are always trying new activities. Granted my kids are grown now but if the OP is looking for simple activities to enjoy with his family in a beautiful setting - I think Hilton Head would be great. There are lots o activities with the Coastal Discovery Museum the kids might enjoy.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

I am a local and have lived here over ten years. I also am not employed by the hospitality industry. I disagree with the majority, who feel that they can't spend 7 or 8 weeks here, since there's nothing to do. WRONG! We have theatre, museums, and other activities year round. We also have many things for children to do, regardless of what one poster stated.

I have to agree that most of the rentals here on the island are short term, but I don't think it's impossible to get a rental for your amount of time. However I would start your search now. Instead of looking at VRBO or other rent by owner sites, check out with the commercial agencies, and call. Try the Vacation Company, Beach Properties, or Island Getaway. We also have long term rental agencies, and you should check with them. I would google Hilton Head Long Term Rental.

Stan (hhiguy)

Edited: 24 October 2013, 13:19
Charlotte
Level Contributor
644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering 7 weeks in Hilton Head area from July - August

I don't think anyone said there was nothing to do - there's lots to do on the island that matches the poster's criteria. But 7 weeks in one place is a long time. There's a big difference between living 7 weeks as a resident and as a tourist.

And I would be suspicious of any villa that had 7 open weeks and/or was willing to give a discount during the high season. If it is a quality rental, it should have no problem filling those prime weeks at full price.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head