We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Service on HHI beaches?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Food Service on HHI beaches?

We (two couples, no kids) are going to HHI next week...I've done a ton of research and am hoping that someone (or two or three) can confirm or deny (and if so, fill in the blanks) what I think I've discovered about food service ON the beaches during the day...essentially that it is non-existent. In other words, I picture us loading up our beach totes with towels, sunscreen, books, etc. and biking down to one of the beaches, renting chairs and an umbrella and camping out for the day and starving to death. :-o Are there any beaches that have food service (i.e. servers that come to your chair and take your order and bring your food & drinks to you)? If not, I'm assuming that we'll have to lug a cooler and our own lunch/snacks with us. If we leave our chairs/umbrella that we've just rented $$$ to walk to a restaurant...well, two questions...1) will we lose our rentals? 2) are there casual places where we an walk in beach-scuzzy to order food?

I probably sound like a dolt...believe it or not I live in Southern California on the beach and travel all over the world but have not done this "typical east coast beach vacation" that seems to be a bit different from the usual beach vacays that we take where we camp out under a palapa on the beach or umbrella by the pool and are "serviced" all day. :-)

While the guys are out golfing, my friend and I will be heading to the beach almost every day (our rental condo is in Port Royal but not on the beach)...how can we make the most of it in a RELAXING way that doesn't feel like so much work having to grocery shop and pack and lug a bunch of stuff around with us...help!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

No, there is no "beach service" There are places close to the beach to go eat and they are casual so you will be fine.

If you rent the chair it's yours. You won't lose it.

Honestly last year we just left all the junke, went to lunch and came back. Never had a problem. Take anything valuable but I would not pack up my coolers etc.

\

Charlotte
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

I agree - I'd be really surprised if your regular beach stuff was touched if you walk off the beach for lunch. Do we wary of the tides, though.

Hopefully someone more familiar with Port Royal and that end of the island can tell you whether walking from the beach to a lunch spot is possible.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

Oh whew, thank you so much for your reply! I feel better now. :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

Most of the places to eat that I've seen are close to Coligny/Forest beach, I haven't seen much up in Port Royal other than a couple resorts...so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

You can get lunch at the Westin in port royal. They have outdoor dining by the pool overlooking the beach.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

Thanks! I assume there is public access by the Westin so that we can bike in and rent chairs/umbrellas on the beach in front of the resort?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

You will be near the Westin Hotel, which has a beach Bar. You will be able to get lunch and adult beverages there.

Stan (hhiguy)

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

Hilton Head Beach and Tennis has an oceanfront bar and grill plus an ice cream/snow cone stand (in season).

hhibeachandtennis.com/amenities-dining.php

If you bike to the Folly Field public beach park, you will be close to a lifeguard stand for chair and umbrella rentals and an easy walk to HHBT's restaurant. Next week should be fine but summertime will be VERY crowded in that area.

hiltonheadislandsc.gov/ourisland/beaches.cfm

Have fun and report back!

Jeff

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

Many thanks for the 411!

10. Re: Food Service on HHI beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head