We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Is it worth it to take the scenic drive at exit 8 down to HH or better to take exit 8 and go straight in? How much more time does the scenic drive take?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

There was a discussion here last week about the same subject and the general consensus, mine included, was that it takes very little extra time and is more relaxing.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Most GPS systems will navigate you off this exit rather than exit 8. It is actually shorter mile- wise and sometimes time-wise as well. The latter depends on traffic volume on 95 and whether you get stuck behind a slow moving truck on route 462 and can't pass.

We always take this route, but I'm not sure I would describe it as scenic- just rural.

Joanne

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Here's your other thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54273-i170-k77004…

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

When we first started visiting Hilton Head we went this way, since exit 8 was not yet open. I still take it occasionally for old times sake.

Stan (hhiguy)

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Actually, in the days before I-95, this was the US-278 route. i have old maps that show that.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

It's definitely a change of pace, and some people like that after the monotony of I-95. One thing I would caution you is that you will pass by two landfills, so occasionally garbage trucks will be on the road, slowing things down and stinking up the air.

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

My experience has taken me to stay on 95. It's quicker and no lights and if you get stuck behind someone going slow through Coosawhatchie youre screwed. (They have parts that you are allowed to pass but sometimes with a couple of slow trucks in front and oncoming cars you can't really do it. )

It is kinda of scenic but not special enough imo to warrant extra time.

I am not on 95 that long and in the ten plus years I have driven to HHI and Tybee, 95 has been good to me.

Last trip I also took 79 the whole way through West Virginia rather than get on 19. added miles to the trip but no lights and not much aggravation.

Hilton Head Island
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

As a local, I can say I take Exit 8 / Hwy 278 about 99% of the time. The exception is usually only if I need to stop in Okatie area on my way home, as there are some businesses there which we visit.

As a visitor, I would recommend Exit 8 as the better option. There are gas stations and fast food, as well as a visitors center, so if you need a bathroom or food break before the final stretch this is it.

Regardless of which route you choose, please be observant of the posted speed limits! After hours of interstate driving at 70mph+, it's easy to keep the lead on, and a speeding ticket is a bad way to start off your vacation.

Also, if arriving at night, be VERY watchful for deer on or near the road. That's on both routes, all roads, the whole way from I-95.

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
835 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

Is Exit 28 a possibility if you're coming from the airport? We've always gotten off at Exit 8, didn't know there was any other choice. My husband likes "back roads" so this would be an interesting choice. Is it a choice for us from the airport?

10. Re: I 95 ext 28 scenic drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 07:16