We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Realty Contract

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Island Realty Contract

Just received our "reservation agreement" from Island Realty for a property located in Wild Dunes. A couple of things trouble me. Contract states: 1. "Island Realty may cancel this reservation if, in its sole opinion, it is in the best interest of the Owner." 2. "Island Realty reserves the right to change the property reserved to a comparable property. Advance notice will be given if time permits". 3. "A property that is unacceptable to the guest is deemed a cancellation by guest."

I have rented vacation properties for over 30 yrs. and have never been asked to accept such terms. Anyone had any experience renting from this company? Anyone had these clauses become an issue? Thanks.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Realty Contract

I live on the island, so I have not used them, however, here is the most likely meaning of these clauses....

1. If they think you are trashing the place or something, wild parties, etc.

2. This is if the owner of the condo suddenly decided to come the same week as you, they would move you elsewhere.

3. Can't really help you with the last one.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Realty Contract

I have some theories but that's all they are. I can tell you that WD is very nice and there is not history of misrepresentation of properties that other places have.

If you are really concerned, call them and ask for clarification.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Realty Contract

I have rented from Island Realty multiple times and have never had an issue with them. I think it just gives them the legal backing to remove someone from the property that isn't following the agreed upon rules (parties, youth groups, etc). You'll be fine. They are a very professional company.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Realty Contract

I've used Island Realty in the past (distant past) and everything was perfect.

One thing that came to my mind is - if a condo/house is up for sale and it gets sold, the new owners might not necessarily want to honor all of the old contracts - so they have the right to find you something comparable. If that worries you - ask if it's on the market (or just look it up on a realty website).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Realty Contract

Thanks so much. I did talk with them and all questions were answered to my satisfaction. We rented and feel comfortable with the contract.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Realty Contract

\

Edited: 13 July 2010, 02:24
7. Re: Island Realty Contract

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms
Recent Conversations