We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

We'll be driving oown in two weeks. We have a seven month old so we are breaking the trip up in 2 days. We had planned to stop in Charlotte (about 7 hours from Pgh.) but now i've read some reviews about the area not being safe and i don't want to stress out staying there now. Anyone recommend another area along the way that is safe with easy access on and off the internet? It can be a little longer or a little shorter than 7 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

I would stay in Rock Hill, just across the SC line from Charlotte. Then you won't have to worry about rush hour traffic the next morning. There are several new hotels just of 77 there. I'm a big Hampton fan-great beds, nice coffee, and breakfast. I haven't stayed at the one there, but I've stayed at Hamptons all over and never had a problem.

charlotte nc
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

mampgh

Where did you read that Charlotte is not safe. Yes there are always areas of any big city that are questionable however for someone to write a piece or review that Charlotte isnt safe is totally irresponsible and without merit.Charlotte is a very beautiful city along with its suburbs, yes I would not book a hotel anywhere however there are many more "safe" areas then not. Anything in the Lake Norman area or Huntersville area would more than likely be "safe". I think once you see the Charlotte area you will realize that who ever made these statements does not have enough knowledge to do so.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 13:11
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

I read them on Trip Advisor. Obviously some areas are better than others, and most posts did say that. However i'm looking for a hotel directly of 77 and that seemed to be an area not recommended. Most people recommended staying in Rock Hill. I understand certain areas are better than others. However, i'm just breaking up a trip, i don't care to put that much research into Charlotte for a one night stay. I'd rather just drive the half hour to Rock Hill.

4. Re: Pittsburgh, PA to Isle of Palms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:42
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms