We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

We just checked in today for a week stay at Wild DUnes. Thought I'd post my initial impressions since we are in for the evening and the baby is fast asleep.

Check in was painless, took 5 minutes. OUr room was ready early (1:30), valet promptly brough all our bags up. We reserved a crib, highcair and exersaucer from Babies Away for our 7 month old. All were here and set up and very satisfactory.

The room is very nice and large (1 bedroom suite in the Village). Read lots of reports about dirty carpet, rooms being worn, etc. It's all very nice nad clean. The porch has three wicker chairs. There's a large dining table and about 6 chairs in here. A sofa bed, large cofee table, flat screen tv and another 2 chairs and samll table. Bedroom is a little on the smaller side but big enough for us. Very nice! If i had to say something about hte room it would be instead of having so many chairs a nice chair and ottman would be nice for tv watching. Although, my husband i have the sofa pulled out into a bed to watch tv and it's working well! The kitchen on the other hand is much larger than it looks in the photos of the 1 bedroom, and is so nice!

Our son was beat from traveling and a little crabby so all we did todya was explore teh resort, eat lunch at Sea Island Grill and get to go sandwiches from Hudson's Market. We were the only ones at the Sea Island Grill (3:30 p.m.), good service and very nice outside seating with a cool breeze. Menu was just so-so, not much to choose from and a little too fancy. We had to order off the lounge menu but they let me get a chicken Cobb salad from the lunch menu. It was as good as chicken cobb salad could probably be. My husband got the pork tamale and it was just ok. We probably won't eat here again at least not for dinner. A little too fancy for us. We got sandwiches for dinner from Hudson's Market. I got the chicken salad sandwich my husband got roast beef. His roast beef was good - they use Boar's Head lunchmeat. My chicken salad was pretty bland. it was 30 for the food and a small dessert. Tomorrow we plan to go to whole foods and the grocery store to get stome stuff.

We tried to go to lunch at Taco Mamacita when we first came into town but it was packed and we couldn't find a parking space, that's why we at at the Sea Grill.

As others said, and i expected, the pools are a bit lackluster. Pretty old looking and do not look big enough for the resort. Boardwalk Inn pool - which we arnet' supposed to use - was about 50% full today. Beach wasn't real crowded. One of the grand pavillion pools was closed today at 2:30 due to a wedding (i guess Peyton and Chris from the Bachelor are getting married here today) and the other pool had a bachelor party going and was pretty rowdy and small, cheap looking charis, etc. However i did see that a new pool is coming in fall of 2012, which will be nice. So far I'm very happy with Wild Dunes, it has either met or exceeded my expectations as far as the room.

Thinking maybe we'll go to Paige's Okra Grill for breakfast tomorrow. I remember reading it's a bit busy so we'll see how crowded and how my son does. So far Isle of Palms seems great.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Thanks for the info Shankle. We are in for the night, our son had enough. We had breakfast again at Paige's, nobody there, got right in and I had the shrimp and grits! My husband had the country fried steak and eggs and both were fabulous - I LOVE THIS PLACE! Everyone is so nice and friendly.

Finally had lunch at Taco Mamacita. We went at 2:30 and it was dead and son was asleep! We had the sloppy nachos which were great. I had the Taco Royale and the Shrimp Po Boy taco. They were really good, but mabye a little heavy on all the extras. If i went back i might hold some of the stuff so that i could taste the chicken and shrimp better. But it was really good. Wish I could have had a margarita, but we have a busy boy. Just grabbed a salad from teh Hudson Market for later tonight and my husband has left over seafood pasta from Sullivan's. Tomorrow we are going in to Charleston for the day. Lots I want to do - market, carriage ride, aquarium, children's museum and of course eat, but we'll see how much of that we actually do tomorrow. The weather's been beautiful, but each time that we try to take our son out, it is just a little too breezy and cool for him to go in the pool. Just hit the WD playground today, looked at the alligators, and walked around the resort. Then we drove around and looked at all the beach houses. It's so easy to get around here, at least from Wild Dunes to Sullivans and IOP restaurants and Mt Pleasant.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Skip the Children's Museum. Your 7 month old is not ready. Just go have fun.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Went to Charleston today. How beautiful! We were there from about 10 to 6. Went to the Market and walked around, got three sweet grass baskets for mother's day gifts. We went to Jestine's Kitchen for lunch after one of the vendors advising and the reviews on here. Everyone was so nice that I hate to say I was not at all impressed. I had the fried green tomatoes and i though they were kind of tasteless. Also had the fried chicken (just regular, not pecan) and it was just pretty bland as far as the breading. Coleslaw i did not care for. Did try fried okra for the first time and liked it. My husband had the crab cake sandwich and fries. He liked both.

We were going to go on a private carriage ride - until we found out it was 135. So our son fell asleep and we just drove around and looked at the houses. Whe he woke up we went to the beautiful waterfront park and walked around and then spent two hours in the aquarium. My son loved it, it was so fun. He fell asleep on the way home so we decided to go to the Boathouse. I'm striking out on my restaurants, or maybe i should say on my menu choices. Had a bibb salad for a starter which was good. I had shrimp and grits. Boy you guys weren't kidding about difference in preparation. This was totally different than what i had at Paige's. Very spicy and in a red sauce. It was ok but i liked Paige's so much better, and at about half the price. Now my husband had the seafood pasta and i tasted it and thought it was very good. So we had skipped our Coast reservation since my son was asleep. I wish we had kept it. Only 3 days of meals left and so far the only place i would return is Paige's - in fact i'm thinking of going there for lunch one of the days and trying their fried chicken - or the shrimp and grits again. Any ideas for restaurants Shankle?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Sounds like you need to eat wherever you end up, lol. Glad you're enjoying driving around. It's really not hard.

So will you be on the island tomorrow or in town? Maybe try one of the places on Shem Creek. Or you might like Station 22 over on Sullivans. Shrimp and grits at Boulevard Diner is pretty good. If you're up for a little road trip, go up to the Seewee restaurant on Highway 17 north of Mt. Pleasant. Go to the end of the IOP connector and turn right (instead of left like you would go into Charleston). It's several miles up on the left. It looks like an old roadhouse because it is. The hush puppies are the best, imo. It's fun. Save room for dessert-all homemade. If the bugs aren't bad you could go here:

http://www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org/

15. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:17